Pecking injury and how to stop/treat

K rae

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2017
We have a chicken that is wanting to just hang out in the nesting box the other chickens are using. We are not positive, but think this injury is from the others pecking him to get out. Either that or illness....Either way, it looks bad. Suggestions for how to treat the injury and what to do to keep her from trying to sit on top of other chickens so she’s getting pecked less (there are 4 nesting boxes and 5 hens).

Attachments

• EFDB93AA-8401-4F16-B904-F3B7EA889967.jpeg
    EFDB93AA-8401-4F16-B904-F3B7EA889967.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 32
  • F9D62B38-8AEC-4C5A-A84C-6B454210B3C8.jpeg
    F9D62B38-8AEC-4C5A-A84C-6B454210B3C8.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 18
The hen next to her looks pecked as well. I think you have a bigger problem than just her. Four nest boxes is quite enough for five hens, and usually, they sit on each other; they don't beat each other up for nesting boxes.

A lot of people spray blu-kote. Some use anti-peck ointment as treatment.

How much room do you have in your coop and run? How old are your hens? What are you feeding them? How's your climate?

Too little room in coop and run causes pecking as hens get bored. (4 sq ft. per hen coop, 10 sq feet per hen run is appropriate.) Young hens just beginning to lay are experiencing a surge of hormones and are more likely to cannibilise than at any other stage of life. Too little protein causes feather pecking and turns into blood-pecking. If it's too cold outside, your hens are cooped up and bored in your coop.

Hope this helps.

The hen next to her looks pecked as well. I think you have a bigger problem than just her. Four nest boxes is quite enough for five hens, and usually, they sit on each other; they don't beat each other up for nesting boxes.

A lot of people spray blu-kote. Some use anti-peck ointment as treatment.

How much room do you have in your coop and run? How old are your hens? What are you feeding them? How's your climate?

Too little room in coop and run causes pecking as hens get bored. (4 sq ft. per hen coop, 10 sq feet per hen run is appropriate.) Young hens just beginning to lay are experiencing a surge of hormones and are more likely to cannibilise than at any other stage of life. Too little protein causes feather pecking and turns into blood-pecking. If it's too cold outside, your hens are cooped up and bored in your coop.

Hope this helps.
Thank you both for the help. They were out of the peepers but had blu coat and ointment. They do have a good amount of space but it’s been colder. They still seemed to be getting out plenty but I’ll find some other ways to keep them entertained. They have a good sized clear area in their immediate own but we still have a few feet of snow around the pen. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you all so much again!!

Thank you both for the help. They were out of the peepers but had blu coat and ointment. They do have a good amount of space but it’s been colder. They still seemed to be getting out plenty but I’ll find some other ways to keep them entertained. They have a good sized clear area in their immediate own but we still have a few feet of snow around the pen. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you all so much again!!
*pen not own

We have a chicken that is wanting to just hang out in the nesting box the other chickens are using. We are not positive, but think this injury is from the others pecking him to get out. Either that or illness....Either way, it looks bad. Suggestions for how to treat the injury and what to do to keep her from trying to sit on top of other chickens so she’s getting pecked less (there are 4 nesting boxes and 5 hens).
I had a hen that look similar when they were all in in the coldest part of winter. I put peroxide in a small spray bottle, sprayed it good then dabbled it with a thick cote of Neosporin. We kept her separate ( in a dog crate). I treated her like that 3 times a day. And she went back out in three or four days. We they could all go out side again. It worked great for her.

Thank you everyone for the help! We started a regiment and so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom