Pecking issues - please help

mmtocco

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
I had 6 chickens - 2 black sexlinks, 2 barred rocks and 2 reds. One of the reds was being terribly pecked. We tried the bag balm, blue kote, balmex etc. we seperated her until she healed and slowly reintroduced her. Once reintroduced the other girls brutally attacked her. We had to give her away to a home with a rooster and she is doing very well with over 20 hens and a rooster. All seemed well in the coop once she was gone. Suddenly I am noticing pecking going on again. 1 sexlink seems to be pecking a barred rock and the other red. I tried suggestions of white vinegar in the water, giving more things to peck, etc. and nothing seems to be helping. Why is this happening and how can I prevent the loss of another hen?

Is it one particular hen that's doing the pecking? If so, I would seperate her for about a week, to lower her status in the flock.
Are they confined to a small area? Pecking can become a big issue with not enough space and boredom.

I haven't figured out if it is just one or not yet. They live in a 4x8 coop with an 8x8 pen, and we let them out to free range on the weekends when we are around and can keep an eye on them.

Gee, that's a tough one. The only thing I can suggest is that you try to identify the aggressive one. She would be the one I remove from my flock; at least until her status has been reduced.
I'm sure others will be along soon with more help.
Good luck to you.

You didn't mention anything about feed. What are they getting and how much. I've heard suggestions in the past that pecking can be associated with either not enough food or not a high enough protein content. If you are not already doing so, I'd suggest feed free choice of a feed that is appropriate to their life stage (i.e. layer feed if they are laying, flock raiser if they are not).

We feed them NatureSmart Organic Layer Pellet. We also give them lots of scraps from our garden and occassionally some yogurt. They do get to dig in their pen and they free range on the weekends to get plenty of bugs and worms. I was considering making them some suet with nuts and seed to give them something more to peck and maybe give them more protein if that is what they are missing. My husband thinks a rooster may solve the problem, but my neighbors may not like that too much......then I don't know the first thing about introducing and raising a rooster.

Quote:
My rooster does step in and settle any squabbles between my hens, but you only have a few hens and that may not be enough for him.

Quote:
Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom