Pecking offender

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yuki, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Yuki

Yuki Songster

Sep 13, 2017
    I have 2 5 year old hens along with a 3year ok guinea hen.the pecking offender she goes after my comet hen whom let's out cries of being startled. Guinea hen pecks harder and harder as the comet hen squeak louder and Louder. The Plymouth rock is more histoec. The guinea hen had done this dl since shewas 6months old. The 3 year old guinea hen whwn she was just a small chick met a 3 year old guinea hen who died months later. But the guinea hen who died free ranged and have a nesting box to her self for a year before the now5year old hens game into play. Well the now 3 year old guinea hen wants everyone out of nesting box or wants most of nesting box.she is also possessive of me.what am I missing her.I've tried separating at night . getting rid of it killing her I'd no option. I have no money for Another extensionI'm in college and I have animals to feed. I've tried scolding simulating pecking or laying het on get back till she is submissive she is subversive towards me.please help

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Your guinea hen is doing what comes naturally to her. She is not a chicken and you cannot expect her to behave like a chicken.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best in a large group of guineas. Their behavior is different than chicken behavior.

If you aren't willing to do what is best for the guinea (rehoming her to a place with more guineas), the only way you will be able to stop the behavior is to separate her from the chickens. You cannot force a guinea to change its behavior to suit you.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. Yuki

Yuki Songster

Sep 13, 2017
    I never thought of it like that... I just don't want her hurting them at night or shoot them out in freezing weather. She is bound at the hip with me. She is very sweat. I don't expect her to behave like a chicken of course she is fun and a faint snuggle big. I just want her to be happy and safe.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    R2elk likes this.
  5. Yuki

Yuki Songster

Sep 13, 2017
    Yeah... I just have been trying to get the b problem solved she gotten worse again she has no chance of free ranging even if she was rehomed she would follow me... She would be killed and upset she has no chance in the wild

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @R2elk gave a pretty concise solution above.

R2elk likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

People need to understand that when Young Birds they got along. Once mature Birds they won't many times.

8. Yuki

Yuki Songster

Sep 13, 2017
    I Completely understand... I guess I may have a extremely hard choice to make... Can I just say that she is an tharpy animal for me but I'll see what I can do... I love this bird to death... She is a sweet heart too a big snuggler I just want to see her die I almost lost her to a possoum already and I love me older hens too this guinea hen is the reason why I'm in so in love with fowl... As a day old chick she was different... She also has been just like when a dog choices u she did me She darted out at me when the opened up the box of chicks... IMG_5463.JPG She is very happy with the space she has she does like to body slam the other hens but only when I'm done there shehonestly only has a problem with the sleep in quarters...

9. Yuki

Yuki Songster

Sep 13, 2017

10. Yuki

Yuki Songster

Sep 13, 2017
    I never EVER wanted to hurt them She had been with them since a chick I get I'm dumb when it comes to guinea hens even if I'm weird forloving chickens they come first all I can say is they give me a reason to smile and get up in the morning life was never good to me but there is alwaysa light on the darkness I'm different from allot of people due to the fact I have autism just go easy on me but thank you for responding to this thread im sorry forwasting all of your time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: