pecking on head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Groucho, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Groucho

Groucho New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    I have 4 Gold Laced Orpington hens about 14 weeks old and just saw that the back of ones head is injured I think from pecking even tho I don't see any pecking going on when I'm there. What do you put on the injury and how do you protect it till it heals. I know isolation is probably the best but I would have to set up a new pen with water heaters and such. Thoughts, thanks.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is the wound bloody or just missing feathers? If it's bloody you need to pull her out, clean it up, put some BluKote on it and keep her out at least a couple days to let it start to heal up. The BluKote will help hide it when she goes back in with them. At 14 weeks old they really don't need supplemental heat. The next thing is to try to figure out why this happened. How much room do that have? Are they out in their coop/run yet?

3. Groucho

Groucho New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks I'll try the Blukot. I need heat for the water, it was into the teens this week here in Va. They are in a 7X10 coop with a 10X12 run area for now. I haven't let them out to free roam in the afternoons yet. It looks like it is starting to heal. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by