Pecking or mites

darrylv50

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I have nine hens that were born this March. We started with 10 but one day about a month ago I went out to find one of our Golden Wyandottes dead. She had some blood by her rectal area but nothing else that I could see. She had not appeared sick. I have another Golden Wyandotte (Goldie) I also have 2 Silvers, 2 Black Sexlinks and 4 Reds. I have been noticing feathers missing fromGoldie's lower back for a few days and have been trying to observe if the others have been pecking her but haven't witnessed any problem. I keep them in a run (4' X 8') during the day but when I can be out to keep an eye on them I let them free range. This morning after I put them in the run I went out to check on them and noticed all of them pecking at her back and it was bleeding. I removed her immediately and put some bacitracin ointment on the spot. I haven't noticed any mites or problems with any of my other hens.

I know I need to isolate her from the others but I am wondering when she is healed will they do it again or does this behavior end? Is there anything else I can do for her? Thanks, Darryl

I think that it is pecking, but mites are also a possibility. I would keep her isolated until her skin doesn't look so red/inflamed, as chickens will peck at red. I would also dust her, and the rest of the flock, with Sevin dust, or Diatamaceous Earth, just in case their are mites.

Get some BluKote on her--it will work as an antiseptic and color it blue so they won't keep pecking it. Re-apply every 2-3 days. It is good to keep around for those injuries they all can get.

Thanks, I have her free right now and think I will keep her separate but I will check for mites again. Where is the most likely place to see them? I looked before but must confess, I have never seen one.

Thank you. Can I buy BluKote at Rural King or where is a good place to buy it. It sounds like a good thing to have on hand.

Mites can be anywhere, and especially around the vent. Some mites only come onto the chicken after dark, and they hide in the coop crevices during the day. BluKote is at most of the usual farm stores like TSC, Southern States, and you can call Rural King to see if they have it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom