1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Pecking? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanaSue11, Sep 18, 2016.

1. DanaSue11

DanaSue11 In the Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Edmonds, WA
    This BSL is about a year old and acting totally normal. I noticed yesterday that she is missing some feathers on the right side of her neck. The skin is not inflamed or red and most of the feathers have been completely pulled. I believe she is at the top of the pecking order. Do you think this is pecking damage or something else? Nightly, she and another hen battle out position on the roost, but I've never seen the other hen peck at her. [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She could be beginning to molt, either a full body molt or a partial neck molt. Has she stopped laying?

3. DanaSue11

DanaSue11 In the Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Edmonds, WA

I had that thought, as well. She laid yesterday. I did see two what look like to be new feathers, or broken feathers, in the bald area, but that's it. I checked for mites and lice and she seems to be ok, although I will check a few times today. I'm not super worried about her because she's acting just fine. Chickens are new to me, so molting is too!

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have a few birds that engage in what appears to be consensual pecking around the neck and head, especially birds with beards/muffs.
    Their beards are gone and they have bare patches on their necks...they just stand there and let the other bird pick feathers..doesn't seem to be adversarial at all.

5. DanaSue11

DanaSue11 In the Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Edmonds, WA
    She now has some feathers on her breast that are sticking out at a funny angle and won't seem to flatten down. I bet it's the beginning of molt. I have such a harmonious little group it's hard to imagine them pecking at each other! Time will tell if it's a molt or not...

6. Justagurllll

Justagurllll In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2015
    Virginia
    I would assume molt as well .. she looks extremely healthy and she is at that age! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by