Pecking order and sexing chickens

ozzie

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 12, 2007
Australia (New South Wales)
If you have a chick that is definitely the lowest in the pecking order, can you say for sure that it’s more likely a girl? I hatched a mixed batch of bantams and one silkie chick is among them. It is the lowest in the pecking order. Always the last to get anything. Would you say it’s more likely a girl? I am only asking because silkies are so hard to sex and I wonder if the pecking order would give me some surety as to its gender.

If you have a chick that is definitely the lowest in the pecking order, can you say for sure that it’s more likely a girl? I hatched a mixed batch of bantams and one silkie chick is among them. It is the lowest in the pecking order. Always the last to get anything. Would you say it’s more likely a girl? I am only asking because silkies are so hard to sex and I wonder if the pecking order would give me some surety as to its gender.
If it's the only Silkie chick amongst normally feathered bantams then, no, it is not necessarily a female chick.
It is the different chick. It could still be a male chick.

How old are they? Pecking order doesn't really guarantee anything but if you watch their behavior closely while they're young you can probably improve your chances of guessing correctly but it's still a guess.

@CluckNDoodle they are 8.5 weeks old.

@DobieLover it is the only silkie chick in the mix. The others are a mix bunch. 2 Polish and 1 looks like a Pekin mix (has bloomers) and 2 I have no idea. In any chest bump competition the Silkie always ends up the loser, with the lowered head and letting the other chick peck its head.

@CluckNDoodle they are 8.5 weeks old.

@DobieLover it is the only silkie chick in the mix. The others are a mix bunch. 2 Polish and 1 looks like a Pekin mix (has bloomers) and 2 I have no idea. In any chest bump competition the Silkie always ends up the loser, with the lowered head and letting the other chick peck its head.

With it being the only Silkie I would say all bets are off. Silkies are super docile and Polish are extra spunky so in this case I would say that the bullying you're seeing won't assist in the determination of gender.

@CluckNDoodle thanks :). This is my first time owning Polish chicks and like you said they are just extra spunky. Goes with their hairdo. Like the cool kids on the block :lol:. Always sticking their noses into where it’s not wanted. First to explore anything. First to bolt out of the coop into the run. Then there’s the nerdy bashful Silkie. Quiet, unassuming, reserved. It’s also my first time owning Silkies. I have a soft spot for the Silkie. I really hope it turns out to a girl. I can only keep girls (Council rules).

487FF06F-5310-437C-B86F-068CBB287800.jpeg

“Are you talking about me behind my back?”:lol:

@CluckNDoodle thanks :). This is my first time owning Polish chicks and like you said they are just extra spunky. Goes with their hairdo. Like the cool kids on the block :lol:. Always sticking their noses into where it’s not wanted. First to explore anything. First to bolt out of the coop into the run. Then there’s the nerdy bashful Silkie. Quiet, unassuming, reserved. It’s also my first time owning Silkies. I have a soft spot for the Silkie. I really hope it turns out to a girl. I can only keep girls (Council rules).

View attachment 2477190
“Are you talking about me behind my back?”:lol:

SO CUTE! I love Polish and Silkies as well. I hope they're all pullets for you! :fl

Back
Top Bottom