Pecking Order and the new chook, when to interfere

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by charlischooks, Nov 26, 2012.

1. charlischooks

charlischooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    Does anyone have any stories for me of how they managed this?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Bobaroni

Bobaroni Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    I have a coop that is 32 feet long by 8' wide. I use an 8x8 partition for a brooder and grow out pen. It is seperated from the main coop only by poultry netting where they can see each other. At 4 or 5 weeks of age, when they are sufficiently feathered, the chicks are moved to the brooder/grow out pen. At 8 weeks of age when I am reasonably sure they will return to their coop (they are still not roosting but coveying up on the ground at this stage) I let them out in the morning while leaving the adults in the coop for half a day. After 3 days of this I let them all out at the same time. The chicks return to their pen at dusk and the adults go to their roost. Minor chases and pecking takes place for a couple weeks. Hardly anything to be concerned about. At 12 weeks I open the grow out pen into the main coop and leave them locked up together for a couple days. Hardly any pecking taking place by then. The chicks and adults then free range together. The chicks continue to covey on the ground until about 16 weeks then take their place on the roost.I raise heavy breeds and they can start laying at anytime after 16 weeks of age. Some sooner than others. Simple as eating apple pie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by