Pecking Order/Disorder

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by operator16, Aug 22, 2010.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    My WCB gals are really nasty on the roost. In fact they get their own room because they will peck at the feet of anyone near them... Then my EEs come in second with the nasties. The two BRocks are next and last are my two BOrphs. I feel terrible for them. No matter where they sit on the roost they get pecked on the head and neck by everyone that can reach them. Tonight I saw one just hunker down and take a handful of pecks, keeping her head really low and eyes closed. When I closed the door and the lights were out they went silent.

Can I control any of this?

Is this normal for any group of pullets?

Are my BOrphs. in any danger?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How long have they been together?

Usually birds settle down after a few weeks together.

3. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    The BRs and BOs have been together for 13 weeks. The BOs are a week younger. The Polish gals came into the picture about 12 weeks ago.

They all do really well during the day because they have a huge area with lots of elbow room.

Maybe you could tell me how much room birds need to roost. Do you know? Is there a standard space?

Quote:

4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! 7-12 inches of roost space per hen.

5. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Funny you should mention this, because just this evening I had to come up with temporary housing for just that reason.

I have been noticing that as my hens grow, their roosts are getting crowded, & tonight it came to a head. 2 of the 6 kept coming back out, after they had seemingly gone in the coop for the night. I imagine they were being bullied, because they are my 2 sweetest hens, Coco & Trixie.

I got a dog kennel, put some hay in it, & placed it high on a table. Then I stuck a branch thru the air vents for a roost, & Trixie went right in. While I was doing that, apparently Coco got in the coop OK.

(O boy, gotta do something about that tomorrow during daylight, even tho I work all day [​IMG] )

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by