1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pecking order/dominance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Garin, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Garin

Garin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    loudoun co., va
    I have 6 hens, 1 rooster and 2 female guineas. 2 BR, 2 EEs, and 2 black sex links. They are all about 4 1/2 years old and only two lay eggs with any regularity, approx. 6 a week (if I'm lucky). Don't know which two are laying. The eggs are brown so I know it is not the EEs. Basically my hens aren't really laying anymore.

I have a tiered roost. The 2 BRs and usually one of the BSL and the rooster are on top. The EEs are always lower. The guineas roost whereever - sometimes on top sometimes on the bottom (they don't seem to matter in my chicken heirarchy).

I was given 5 - 1 1/2 year old red star hens 4 days ago. All the older hens had something to say about it. Each one got their 'dig' in and things did settle down after a day or two.

The new hens layed eggs from day 1. I have gotten 20 eggs in the past 4 days and zero eggs from my older hens.

Last night when I put my birds up all 5 of the new hens were on the top roost. This morning when I went to let them out all 5 were still there along with 1 BR and the rooster. The EEs were not on the roost at all. I could tell they slept on the floor. The BSLs were in the middle.

Are hens that lay regularly automatically given more 'status' than hens that either do not lay at all or just sporadically?

Also, will the new hens become the favorite of the rooster because they are more fertile and therefore achieve more status?

Bascially, is there a link between fertility and the pecking order?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had some Golden Sex Links (similar to Red Stars) and EEs in the same flock awhile back. The GSLs and EEs had been together for awhile, but the GSLs started driving the EEs away from the feeders and wouldn't let them eat. So I got rid of the GSLs.

EEs are very timid in comparison, is all I can say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by