Pecking order ... help please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nzchickenlover, Jan 8, 2013.

1. nzchickenlover

nzchickenlover New Egg

Jan 8, 2013
    My beautiful big white chicken was fine this morning and then this afternoon she was covered in blood. The rooster was removed a week ago, as I had a younger one coming through the ranks. She is a wonderfully docile hen who has always been friendly with all the flock and has a buddy which she looks after and spends time with. Her crop is all bloody and it looks like she could have lost her eyesight in one eye. Why is this happening. I am so sad and have never in all my years of having chickens seen this before. I have introduced and removed chickens in the past and never have I seen this type of horrible or wanton visciousness. Over the past 2 years I have had 7 chickens die (unknown causes) and am starting to wonder whether I should abandon having chickens. I have a 1/4 acre run for them, they are fed twice a day and have 5 clean water bowls spread throughout the enclosure. Any help appreciated. Linda from NZ.

2. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm so sorry, that is really terrible. I'm afraid I'm much newer to chickens than you are so can't offer much advice. Do you know who the culprit is? I'd remove - maybe even permanently - just cause I'm not sure if they start being this vicious, that they will stop even from a temporary isolation.

If you have Betadine liquid antiseptic or similar, bathe the wounds in that. It can look worse than it is with all the blood, and they can heal remarkably quickly.

Good luck!

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Don't abandon having chickens just because you lose some. It will happen to everyone. It sounds like you have plenty of room for them so they shouldn't be having any problems due to crowding. But they need to be monitored so that you can identify the attacker/s. If there is an authoritative or bold hen in your flock then it could easily be that one but don't assume anything until you know the truth. Watch the rest of the chickens for any suspicious and aggressive activity. How have you treated the wound/s?

4. nzchickenlover

nzchickenlover New Egg

Jan 8, 2013
    No don't want to touch her at the moment she is very upset. Don't know who the culprit is, but believe you me, if I did, they would no longer be a part of the flock. She is my favourite, and I am so sad this has happened to her. I know silly to cry over a chicken.

5. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    When you have identified the attacker, you could try isolating her for 1-4 days (or longer if needed) to bring her down a few notches in the pecking order. If that doesn't work you may need to remove it permanently. But of course the first thing to deal with is the injured hen.

6. nzchickenlover

nzchickenlover New Egg

Jan 8, 2013
    I haven't as yet treated the wound, but will go to vet tommorrow to get appropriate treatment stuff for her, as I do not want to do her more damage. Crickey chickens are cruel.

7. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Of course it's not silly to cry over a chicken! Hope she heals well [​IMG]

8. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    x2!!!!!

9. nzchickenlover

nzchickenlover New Egg

Jan 8, 2013
    Thank you. [​IMG]

10. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I hate it when chickens get bullied for no reason - especially the sweet docile ones [​IMG]. But I'm sure she'll recover with proper care. It will be good to get some advice/treatment from your vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by