1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking order-help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Matelew, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Matelew

Matelew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    I have six chicks purchased in pairs one week part over three weeks. The last set I got were two Americanas 2 weeks ago. I put them in with my other chicks and everyone seemed to be fine. This morning after two weeks of living together I wake up to lots of chirping and find that one of my Americanas has a huge spot on her back. She is very docile. So I removed her but now she spends lots of time chirping in distress. Bauer I gave them outside time today they all seemed fine except towards the end my Barred Rock started trying to peck my injured Americanas eye. Not sure what to do. Should I let them free range together? Do I need a bigger brooder? I have a bigger container but plan on moving my two oldest birds this week or next to the coop since they are feathered out for the most part. How long should I have to keep them separated. I do have sticks and blocks in the brooder to help keep them occupied. Also had a red heat lamp on 24/7 until today. They seemed happy so I am not sure why this happened. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I can take pictures of the injury tomorrow. Maybe she's sick and had not been pecked on I don't know.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    More room in the brooder with a heat lamp is needed until they are all feathered out but, they need room to get away from the heat if they want. One alone isn't good but, if it has a raw injury - the others will peck at it. Can you cover the injury and /or divide the brooder so, they can still see each other but, can't peck at injured one? One alone isn't good and separating them will make it harder to get her integrated back in later. Hope this helps.

3. Matelew

Matelew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the reply....yes that helps. I figured it could be a space issue since my Buffs are a month and taking up a lot of room. I just upgraded the brooder to one with more room last week...I have a bin larger but the thought of having to clean it is keeping me from moving them...anyway I have her/him seperated for now. I don't know how I would cover the wound without bring attention to it. I will have to brain storm putting them together but seperated they are quite crafty escape artist and I am not sure any barrier I put up wouldn't be pecked at until they got it down...they are always attacking the bird netting I have up to keep them in the brooder...I have seen two escape it on two occasions.

Here are the pictures of her wing...it looks like something took a big chunk out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    TSC Stores have Blue Kote a purple antiseptic spray you could cover the wound with. I don't think they like the taste of it. Keep a eye on them because they may find another one to peck on if, they are crowded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by