Pecking order(I think)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HillBilly547, Feb 12, 2019.

1. HillBilly547

HillBilly547 In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2017
    Boise
    I have recently noticed that 1 of my birds has had a lot of her feathers pecked off. This afternoon, I saw one of my other bird attacking her. She is very scared and doesnt want to come out of the coop at all. I looked at all the birds to see what else might be going on. One of them has a few feathers pecked off around where her wing meets her body. The other 2 are totally fine. I believe something has caused the 2 full feathered hens to pick on either 1 or both of the others. I dont know what might have caused this. I read that in might be disease and the others are trying to force the diseased bird out, but I dont know how to identify what it is. I also dont know if I should separate them. Should I take the 2 "bullies" out and re-establish the pecking order? Should I take the affected one out and but her back in one she is healed? Please help!

2. Ms Clucky

Ms Clucky In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    We used Hot Pick. Its a topical anti-pick spray. You spray it on the ones that are getting pecked and the ones that are pecking will back off. Warning though it will make you gag and burn your nose. The ingredients are soap, spices and flavorings. We bought it off the internet.

3. Ribh

Ribh Songster

Personally I would take the bully out. She will loose her place in the pecking order & no longer be the dominant hen.

I would also make sure the run has places where your hens can get away from each other & have * personal space*: perches, hidey~holes, things to hide in or hide~behind. Plenty of space solves most issues.

rosemarythyme likes this.
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    How many chickens do you have vs how much space in the coop and run? Lack of space or hiding spots makes it hard for picked on birds to get away, and makes the bullies act more aggressively.

Also what's the protein % in your feed? Sometimes chickens can pick at another's feathers for protein.

Wyorp Rock and DobieLover like this.
  5. HillBilly547

Apr 5, 2017
    Boise
    I don’t think it’s lack of space itself. There been fine since we got them almost 2 years ago. I’ll try adding hiding places and what not. If I take out the bully, what should I do since there are 2 main culprits

6. HillBilly547

Apr 5, 2017
    Boise
    Also, we use 20%

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    How many hens/roosters do you have?
    How old are they?

It would be good to gather up the one that is not coming out and examine her more closely. Has she been laying eggs, what does her crop feel like, take a look at her poop, inspect her for lice/mites.

8. HillBilly547

Apr 5, 2017
    Boise
    This is the only photo I have. All 4 of them are hens. They are all just under 2 years old and have been together since they were just a few days old. She is currently asleep in the box in our garage, the rest are cooped up outside. We have only been getting about 1 egg per day and I am unsure which one is laying it.
    On a side note, if I temporarily remove the bully from the flock, how close should I keep her to the rest of them?

Attached Files:

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you get better photos of her in the morning? Her face, feathers, bald spots, how she stands, etc.
    What breed is she?
    Is she molting? It's hard to tell, it looks like she has new feather growth around her neck.

Again, it would really be good if you examine her in the morning. Feel her crop before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.
    Look her over for lice and mites.
    You need to determine if she is sick or molting. If she is sick, then she needs to be tended to.

10. HillBilly547

Apr 5, 2017
    Boise
    I'll get better photos in the morning and inspect her more closely. She is a cross between a Black Australorp and a Rhode Island Red

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: