Pecking Order Injuring Other Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roybus, Sep 20, 2010.

1. roybus

roybus New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Our dominant chicken (Rhode Island Red) is pecking away at the rest of the flock (one other RIR, one Jersey Black Giant, one Ameraucana). What can we do to stop it? We're coating the others with anti-pecking cream but that is getting to be rather expensive. Can we separate the aggressive one from the rest and then re-introduce her in the hopes that she will then be at the bottom of the pecking order? If so, how long do we isolate her? Will another chicken take over as the dominant mean one? Are there any other options?

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    RIRs are known to be mean, sometimes they just have to be culled. You can try seperating her though

3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    sorry~ double post.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  4. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    The technique you shared is the most common way I've seen suggested to "rehab" a bad hen. How many chickens and how much space do they have? That may be a contributing factor to the picking.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with the others, seperate her for about 4 days then reintroduce her. If she does it again, do it for a longer period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by