Pecking Order, is it wrong to move them

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Harley Chick, May 21, 2019.

1. Harley Chick

Harley Chick Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Unionville TN
    I have a BR (Lucy) that has a foot paralysis for about 2 months. First thought was injury but i'm now leaning toward Merecks. She seems to be doing fine, lays almost daily, eats drinks no real issues so I'm just letting her be. I move her around the yard when I see she's struggling to get to her destination. My problem is this, the low chicken in the pecking order (Clover) has developed quite a relationship with her. She pretty much stays by her side when they are free ranging. Clover will do the digging for Lucy and they both enjoy the fruits of Clover's labor. I love that she doesn't leave Lucy's side, I would hate for her to feel isolated since she can't keep up with the rest of the girls. Roosting is where i'm having issue's. I have to place Lucy on the roost at night, we created a spot for her that allows her to balance (like a 1x6 piece of board) because she can't grip the 2x4 perch. If I move Clover next to Lucy am I disturbing the natural order of things? I have to boot the other girls off of Lucy's "perch" anyways when I put her to bed so does it matter I'm moving them?

Shadrach likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm trying to understand your question. Are you wanting to move Clover next to Lucy during roosting time? If Clover has a spot that she normally roosts, then I would just leave her be. Lucy has company during the day.

I have hens that pal around during the day but sleep in different spots at night (not together).

Leaving the pecking order alone and letting them find their own place in it is the best thing you can do for them, imho.

3. Harley Chick

Harley Chick Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Unionville TN
    You hit the nail right on the head!!!! I was thinking of moving Clover next to Lucy since I'm already rocking the apple cart so to speak. When I have to put Lucy on her perch it's a 60/40 shot that i have to move someone over anyways? believe it or not most times there is an opening (albeit a small one) where Lucy is suppose to go, like they know it's her spot???? Who said chickens are dumb???? thank you :bow

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm wondering if the Chicken doesn't have a torn tendon or pelvis fracture?

Harley Chick likes this.
  5. Harley Chick

Harley Chick Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Unionville TN
    how could I figure that out?

chickens really likes this.
  6. chickens really

If tendon is torn the leg is useless and a fractured pelvis it can't really walk if at all.

Harley Chick likes this.
  7. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    No, I don't think it matters if you make sure they roost together. Ime they are rarely in the same order when I open them up as they were when I closed them.:)
    Good for Clover and one more example of chicken empathy and intelligence.:clap

Harley Chick likes this.
  8. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I don't think that they need to roost next to each other and I would try to not mess with the order in the coop. Usually the chickens will shuffle into the way that they want to be so even if you put them together, they might not even stay that way through the night.

Harley Chick likes this.
  9. Harley Chick

Harley Chick Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Unionville TN
    She can hop pretty much everywhere. Goes up the ramp to the nesting boxes and lays on a regular basis. Hobbles/flies down the ramp in the morning when I come out to open the run. She holds the leg extended out slightly and her foot is curled unless she plops it down for balance, then the foot looks normal? This actually has improved over time but it now seems she is just stuck with this bum leg, not getting any better or worse? Only slows her down getting from point A to point B. I try to move her when the other girls have settled into an area in the yard so she can hang out. She will sometimes run LOL towards me knowing i'm coming to get her. She really is an amazing chicken. Higher if not the highest on the pecking order. The gang just takes care of her for the most part. Is there anything I could do for a torn tendon?

chickens really likes this.
  10. chickens really

Sound more like a bad sprain and definitely no hopping off Roosts with a long period of resting it.

Harley Chick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: