Pecking Order Issues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by enggass, Jan 31, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Why would a bird begin bothering another for no apparent reason? I have 5 birds that have gotten along (mostly) beautifully until yesterday one of my RIR began bullying one of my BRs.
    Is it normal for weird pecking order behavior to surface from time to time?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sometimes pecking orders will change. They don't always stay the same. My flocks change the order at least once a year. Usually it's a hen challenging another but it's never nothing real bad or bloody.

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

My roosters are reastablishing the pecking order now that my nine month old roosters have noticed that they are much bigger than the others. One of my younger roosters got a little bloody: I seperated him for half a week and he was fine after that. It usually isn't that bad, nothing to worry about [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've noticed status changes when a girl begins laying who wasn't before. I think something similar happens with older or sick birds too. Of course roosters add a whole other dimension to the issue.

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    This is mostly just bullying it seems. Some bloody combs... And of course the one being picked on then turns to pick on another. I have 5 hens all 9 months old.

6. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sounds like the pecking order. Sometimes it can be brutal. It is likely they are getting ready for spring. I think the pecking order has a lot to do with aging.

7. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:I don't know anything about how to separate. Do you leave them within visual range? Move to someplace else entirely? You move the junior rooster, not the senior rooster, right?

8. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    junglebird, I would move the rooster you don't want in charge of your flock. If I have roosters fighting, I separate the two for good. When my roosters fight, not just one chasing the other, but a full out fight, I don't put them back together. They just try fighting again.

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    RIRs do that. I will not have any more of them around here for that very reason. Once they start it is very difficult to change their behavior. If you take her out of the flock for a while and then try to reintroduce her in a week or two the pecking order will have to be reestablished and maybe her place will be further down, but I doubt it. If it were me I would cull her, doesn't matter how pretty she is, if she cannibalizes the other hens, she has to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by