Pecking order or molting?

gbsamuels

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I have 9 ladies. In the past two weeks, I've observed that one is not looking as healthy as the rest, her wattles and combs are pale and withdrawn, and she looks pale in general. I saw that she was hanging out in the nesting box. she wasn't so much broody as she was just scared. So I started watching the behavior of the flock and saw that she was getting run off from the food, and pecked at during roosting time. I tried to identify the aggressor, but couldn't do it.

Two days ago I noticed some blood on the eggs, blood on the roosting area and blood on one of her feet. Yesterday there were feathers all over the coup, and she had a hand-sized bald spot on her back, but no blood. Other chickens are showing signs of molting, but I'm worried for this little gal! I've separated her from the rest of the flock, but don't know if this should be a permanent move. do I need to get her her own coup? Take her to the vet? I would love your feedback.

Yikes! I would keep her separate from the flock until you figure out what's going on. Whether it's pecking or molting but it sounds to me like you have a bully. I have some bullies but it's not serious at all. You might want to try to find your bully/bullies and isolate her/them for a while.

So I've separated Her for a few days and this is what she looks like. Is this normal molting?!

Back
Top Bottom