Pecking order or something else

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Egglad, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Egglad

Egglad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    I just started my laying flock, all pullets- 2 Ameraucana, 2 Light Brahma, 2 Barred Rock, and 2 Buff's. My wife wanted some variety. Anyway, the chicks are only a few days old, they were purchased at a local hatchery, and we noticed that one of the Brahma has a spot of blood on its leg. Upon closer inspection it appeared that some of the other chicks had plucked or pecked some of the feathers off its leg. Everything appeared to be scabbed over and other than me poking around, it didn't appear to bother the chick. I've done some reading on the issue in the forums, most seem to address other chicks pecking around the port, I'm assuming that they have taken an interest to the feathers on this chicks leg or there was something stuck to it that they went after. I saw at least 3 chicks peck once at the leg while watching and then they quit, should I be concerned and take some action or just watch and see what develops? I've seen posts about segregating the injured bird, even though it doesn't really seem injured, to putting pine tar on it to discourage the behavior. As far as I can tell they all peck at each other in random places every so often. Thanks for any advice for the new guy.

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Keep a close eye on the injured chick. ( I would separate him from the rest now) I have been raising chickens for over 30 years and my experience has been that once they draw blood they become relentless in picking at the wound. It will just get worse and worse until the chick is killed.

3. Egglad

Egglad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Ok, should I put the other Brahma in with it? It doesn't appear to be pecking at its sister and I would hate to have the one chick by itself

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Don't worry about keeping the chick by itself, she will be fine in a few days and you can put her back with the others. Just make sure that there isn't a scab or any place that is a target for them to start on again.

The silver lining of this dark cloud is that you will find yourself holding that chick a lot more than the others and you will end up bonding with it and she could end up being one of your favorite pets ever.

I saved a chick that had been one of those dyed Easter chicks from some other kids who were feeding him KFC. They had grown tired of him and needless to say he was on his last leg. He was dyed green so I named him Booger. Since I didn't have any other chicks I raised him in my bedroom and he became like a family dog. Once I moved him to the pen, I could walk out on the patio and slap my leg and he would fly up into a tree then hop the fence, run up and fall to sleep on my lap as I petted him. He even started meeting me at the road when the school bus dropped me off. The driver and the other kids loved to see him running across the yard to great me.

Good luck! I hope this turns out to be the same type positive situation for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by