Pecking Order - Our Bossy Brahma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DenverChickFam, Apr 2, 2015.

1. DenverChickFam

DenverChickFam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    We have a brood of 7 chicks. The first 3 are one week older than the other four. They are now 3 and 2 weeks old, respectively. It seems like there is a huge growth spurt between 2 and 3 weeks, and our 3 week olds are WAY bigger than the 2 week olds. The biggest of all is our light Brahma, Daffy. She has definitely asserted herself as the top bird. She runs around like a maniac (sometimes in circles) and has taken to roosting on top of the mason jar feeder just recently.

She doesn't seem to be super aggressive. Not pecking or plucking the others too badly. She does get protective over the food, but all the birds still eat and drink fine. It just seems like she gets in these bossy tizzies every once in a while and sends everyone scurrying.

Is this normal pecking order behavior? I'm brand new to all of this, but she just seems so bossy! She also comes up to me when i put in my hand (I've been hand feeding them at least once a day) and she's always the first to come over. But she really freaks out and flaps and squawks and hates to be picked up/held. I appreciate any feedback or tips on making her a bit more agreeable. [​IMG]

2. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    This behavior is def normal. I have 9 chickens and all of them do this and actually still do this and they are 8 weeks old. They are constantly establishing and re-establishing the pecking order. Normally my white leghorn is the top hen and my roo is the top overall. It is interesting the top hen and the roo constantly try and prove who is the top chick. As long as they are not causing harm to the other chickens it is nothing to worry about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by