Pecking order question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My little flock has worked out its pecking order. Jack, my Khaki Drake, is the boss and the girls appear to love him. There is no running away when Jack s ready for some ducky love. The girls practically throw themselves at him.

Of the hens, Janet (Khaki Campbell) is now the boss (at first it looked like it was going to be Lana when she joined the flock). She asserts her dominance over the other girls by nipping Chrissy and Lana on the back of the neck and even climbing on their backs on occasion. Next is Lana the Buff. She totally defers to Janet, but will assert her dominance over Chrissy. Even though Chrissy the runner is low girl on the totem pole, the girls all get along fine other than these short displays of who is in what order.

The problem is Jack appears to hate Chrissy. He chases her away from their pond, he chases her away when she stands next to him and lowers her head, he chases her and bites her when she drinks. He isn't trying to mate with her, he just wants to make her go away.

Now, if I was to find Chrissy a new home and get a different hen, would the new hen just get picked on? Does my Khaki just hate Runners or is it just something about Chrissy he doesn't like?

2. Hi Wifezilla
    When I introduced Bridgett and Yacky to my two runner drakes and one hen it was clear from the start Bridgett was on the bottom of the totom pole. Gabriel, the dominant male would chase her around and violently pull at her feathers. At one point I was ready to "invite" Gabriel for DINNER. [​IMG] The other ducks, except (Aretha, the runner hen) would sometimes join in and at times I would put both drakes, but usually just Gabriel, in a pen in order to allow Bridgett some peace. The others would act a little pushy with Bridgett sometimes but nowhere near as obnoxious as Gabriel. And neither of the males would mate with her even tho she made the same approaches to the drakes as the other hens did. [​IMG] As time wore on Gabriel became less intense in his aggression, and finally after about five months instead of just walking over her he would actually stop to give her the attention she was asking for. [​IMG] She is still at the bottom of the pecking order, judging by how sometimes she is pushed away from the water bucket, but for the most part she is accepted as part of the flock. [​IMG]

Unless you really want to get rid of Chrissy, I would guess if you give them enough time they will probably work things out to some degree. I think maybe unless ducks are all brought up together one of them will wind up at the bottom. And every time you add more ducks you will see some unpleasantness. Better to let them get it over with than continually stirring the pot with a replacement hen. Just my inclination. [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks for the input. Since Chrissy is still getting enough food, enough water, and companionship from the other females, I will let it ride.

Too bad Jack doesn't realize HE is the expendable one! Since I got ducks for the eggs, he is optional.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by