Pecking order question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kellykate, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    I was curious when pecking order behaviors begin? I have one chick (they are almost 5weeks) running around bumping everyone, pecking and generally "puffing up" about everything -- somewhat humorous to watch but also annoying for the others! Anyhow, I know pecking order gets sorted out soon -- what should I watch for? Also do you know the pecking order of your chickens or is it a "chicken-secret" [​IMG]??!! -- thanks for your help!

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Give them a piece of 4x4 in the bedding of the brooder or in the coop if that's where they are. They'll line up in their present pecking order. As you face them, lead girl will be on far left. It's hilarious! Have fun with this, the order wil shift a bit, but I bet you'll note your alpha gil instantly![​IMG]

3. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    no way~~ They have been up sleeping on a rung I put in the brooder and I said to my hubby last night that I didn't know how they remembered to get in the same order each evening but they always seem to be in the same order all lined up in a row? I'll have to keep an eye on who's where in the line -- thanks for the fun tip! [​IMG]

4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    seriously??? I thought that was a joke????

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

According to everything I've read, they can have the pecking order up and running by 6 weeks old. It changes should you cull from the flock or they lose a member for some reason.
    Roosters are part of the pecking order (with the alpha being at the top) but they also maintain a "roo only" pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by