Pecking order question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whitewinterwolf, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My one hen is very passive, she hides and runs from everything.
    She is a Silkie named Winter
    The new hen is establishing the pecking order, and keeps picking on the other hen.
    She is a silkie Frizzle named Flakes.
    Its not viscous or anything, but it is bothersome.
    They have only been together for two days including today, Flakes does not hunt down Winter, but will peck at her if she draws to close and every now then throw in a kick.
    How long will this be expected to go on for and is there anything I can do to make it end sooner?
    I dont want poor Winter to end up with Wry neck [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Living with strangers is stressful. Imagine if you had strangers come live with you. One of you would pick on the other. It can end in a couple days or go on forever. Free ranging together helps. They don't get in each others way.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Yes true, I have the coop set up so there is plenty of escape space, im just crossing my fingers that Flakes will calm down a bit.
    Do you think there is anything I can do though? Or is it all just nature?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It will go on for awhile. She is asserting herself as the alpha chicken. If it doesn't seem to stop eventually take Flake out of the flock for a few days then let her back in and see how it goes.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Hmm, alright.
    Thank you very much!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The pecking order is a fluid everchanging process. Those at the top are continually asserting their dominance and those at the bottom are trying to increase their position. It's just the nature of chicken politics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by