Pecking order question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OleMissChic, Dec 21, 2012.

1. OleMissChic

OleMissChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Oxford, Mississippi
    The lowest pullet in the pecking order who was chased and pecked by the others was the first to start laying and now seems to be at the top of the pecking order...is this possible? She is a Red Star, she's my friendliest and her demeanor has changed now after laying a couple eggs the past two days. My biggest pullet (a Buff Orpington) was by far the most dominant and has been following the Red Star around but defers to her now. And now the BO is fighting with the others. Can pecking order change as the girls start laying?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As in any social structure the pecking order is fluid and subject to change. Those at the bottom are always looking for an opportunity to advance their position. Such changes can acompany the onset of egglaying, broodiness, molting, addition of new birds, etc.

3. OleMissChic

OleMissChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Oxford, Mississippi
    Thank you sourland. Things should get very interesting then as they others start to lay, the roo gets older and the new girls are added!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by