Pecking order

How do I determine the pecking order in a flock of about 30?

Well you don’t they do. Just observe you can kinda tell who leads and who follows. Who is first to come or last. First to roost or last. First to food or last etc.

Just want to have sufficient space so not too much chest bumping or pecking going on. Each chest bump session determines leader who calls the shot and first to walk away defers to the other. Rarely does this involve too much hen pecking or attacks on another that would be concerning. This establishes order in the flock. Considered normal behavior if seen.

Space 4 sq ft in coop per bird/10 sq ft in run per bird. Plenty of nest boxes. Should have 10-12 inches of roost space per bird. Roosts not higher than 30 inches. Supply boredom busters like a pecking ball, chick swing, tree stump, or extra roost space in run. :):caf

Well you don’t they do. Just observe you can kinda tell who leads and who follows. Who is first to come or last. First to roost or last. First to food or last etc.

Haha I didn’t mean how can I create the peckin order, I meant how can I tell who is where. In a small flock it’s much easier but the larger the number grows, the more difficult it becomes.

Last edited:
Just want to have sufficient space so not too much chest bumping or pecking going on. Each chest bump session determines leader who calls the shot and first to walk away defers to the other. Rarely does this involve too much hen pecking or attacks on another that would be concerning. This establishes order in the flock. Considered normal behavior if seen.

Space 4 sq ft in coop per bird/10 sq ft in run per bird. Plenty of nest boxes. Should have 10-12 inches of roost space per bird. Roosts not higher than 30 inches. Supply boredom busters like a pecking ball, chick swing, tree stump, or extra roost space in run. :):caf

Chest bumping? Thats a new one for sure, never heard of that. Thanks, i’ll be sure to watch for that

Also having multiple food and water stations avoids pecking order issues.

The pecking order is fluid(it can change) and multileveled.....sh!t rolls down hill.
Someone will always be pecking their subordinate.

I'm curious, why do you want to know? Is it just curiosity or is there another reason?
:pop
Wonders this too.
Are you having a specific problem @aurajean515 ?

The pecking order is fluid(it can change) and multileveled.....sh!t rolls down hill.
Someone will always be pecking their subordinate.

Wonders this too.
Are you having a specific problem @aurajean515 ?
My hen, Honey, used to be the dominant hen but I saw her run away from a scuffle the other day. I thought I had an idea who was at the too/bottom/middle etc but things seems to switch up all the time. I’d just like to know whos on top these days

Back
Top Bottom