Pecking order

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickgal, Jan 28, 2011.

1. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    At what age do the chicks begin to develop signs of the pecking order? Mine are 2 weeks and 3 days old and I haven't seen signs yet, or maybe I'm just not observing them long enough to see it.

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Its usually pretty subtle when they've been raised together from tiny babies, but its there. You may never see it unless something happens to one of them, or if you add newbies to the flock.

Enjoy your sweet babies!!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The pecking order starts from day one in the brooder, although it's often so subtle as to be missed by us humans.
    Chickens have a pecking order, of which the roosters are (almost always) at the top. In addition, the roosters have a seperate pecking order all to themselves.

4. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Oh, subtle, I guess that's why I haven't been able to pick up on it! [​IMG] That makes sense.

5. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    X2 Gritsar.

In the brooder, pecking order is established not necessarily by pecking. I saw it by who got to eat first, or who got the best spot with the heat light, and which one everyone hides behind, and who is well... just left there standing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by