Pecking order...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gvilledh, Jun 16, 2011.

1. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    The decision was made to get a different feeder since the round one, along with the round water bowl took up so much floor space on the brooder. I told my co-worker, Lou Ann, that I would stop and pick up the feeder. (Note to self-do not go to Feed and Seed store near downtown. It is definitely a "city" feed store that doesn't know much about chickens!.)
    After some time corralled outside, we put them up for the evening with the new feeder. One decided to "boss" the others and take food from all the openings! Later, they all started to get on top of the feeder and fall asleep. Guess they will have a short roost added tomorrow, otherwise they will have a feeder full of poop.
    They have now experienced boiled eggs. They aren't crazy over them, but did enjoy picking up a piece and running with it as if it were a great prize to be envied by the others.

"I'll take a little from this one, and a little from this one, and a little from this one...."
    [​IMG]

"Isn't this where I'm supposed to sleep?"
    [​IMG]

While we had them outside, a fly flew in front of these two (Cagney and Lacey). One is fine, the other crouches down in fear as if to say "Don't shoot!"
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cute pics. Do yourself a favor. Go ahead and buy your larger "adult" feeder. Hang it level with their backs. No pooping or shavings in the feeder. Also, filled less often.

3. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Cute babies! They're going to need a bigger box in about a week. Just an FYI.

I've been to the feed store you're talking about on Laurens Road. They always try to sell me antibiotics and look at me like I'm a crazy person coming in to get 10 pounds of pine shavings in my pencil skirt and heels. Whatever.

I love love love the Travelers Rest Feed and Seed store. They're about to start building a TSC in TR so I'm doing my best to supoprt them so help them stay in business.

4. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Aww adorable! And yes they will need a bigger box soon.

5. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    They get a bigger space tomorrow. Lou Ann actually has a dog crate they will move into, we have just been putting some hardware cloth around it to make sure they can't escape. I don't think they can now, but you never know. It will give them a little more room and then we have a neighbor who has the next size up if we need it (which I think we will).
    They had their first taste of yogurt today. That was interesting. All of them liked it, but the little Cuckoo Marans loved it. The funniest part was watching them try to get any that was remaining off their beaks!
    We had named the Silkie, Willow, but decided it didn't fit. She is the noisiest and protests the most. We changed her to Lucy, for Lucille Ball. It fits her personality better. I think she is jumpier right now because she was two weeks old when we got her and had not been handled too much. It is taking her a little getting used to, but she'll come around.
    It is interesting to see who is become the boss in the group. So far it is one of the Wyandottes, Cagney. Will be interesting to see if it stays that way.

6. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Jackie B. :

Cute babies! They're going to need a bigger box in about a week. Just an FYI.

I've been to the feed store you're talking about on Laurens Road. They always try to sell me antibiotics and look at me like I'm a crazy person coming in to get 10 pounds of pine shavings in my pencil skirt and heels. Whatever.

I love love love the Travelers Rest Feed and Seed store. They're about to start building a TSC in TR so I'm doing my best to supoprt them so help them stay in business.

When I asked them if they had medication if we were to need it, they actually told me "No.". They said I would need to go to TSC. I just heard this morning about the TSC in Travelers Rest. That will be great. Right now, I usually go to the one in Greer. We went to Brown Feed and Seed today. It was pretty good, but a different atmosphere than the TR Feed and Seed. Those old stores are just great to go to. I could spend forever looking at everything.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by