pecking order

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdface, Jun 23, 2011.

1. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    I was just wondering how long it usally takes for other chickens to let the new one into the group. I have 3 cochins about 8-10+ weeks old and just got a Buf orp. about 4 weeks old. I dont want them ganging up on her but i dont really want to keep her separated until shes the same size as the rest. I have them in the cop together tonight for the first time, fingers crossed, hopefully she makes it out of there in the morning.

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    it really depends on the chickens. Some will eventually tolerate each other but never totally get along. I've put smaller chickens in with older ones and it doesn't turn out well. The smaller ones get beat up.

3. Sheepy

Sheepy Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Quote:Same here. I mixed some smaller sized adult hens in with my bigger ones, and it didn't work. They got picked on a little, and now 2 of the 3 ran off, which we think is because they were bullied some much. I'd suggest not mixing them, but I wouldn't want your poor chicky to have to live by herself. Its a tuffy.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Cochins are usually docile but they could do some serious damage to her and possibly kill her if they decide to gang up. It would probably best if you could put her in a cage/carrier in the coop. It helps if they can see eachother without touching for a while. I tried putting a younger serama in with 3 older girls and they immediately went after her and wouldn't let up. So instead, I put her in with my 4 isa brown pullets that were quite a bit bigger than her and they didn't even notice. It just depends on the individual chickens and their flock dynamic.

5. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    They pretty much ignore her and she doesnt even follow them around. I checked them befor i came in for the night and everyone seemed ok in there. 2 of the older birds seem like they could be grump, and the third is pretty sweet. i guess we'll see when i go out there in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by