Pecking order?!

csummer8882

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Rockingham County, NH
I have 6 chickens, 3 Golden Comet, 3 NHR and 1 RIR. The have plenty of grit, water, cracked corn and food available today. So I am changing out the water jug INSIDE the coop, they are all outside and all I keep hearing is a random "BAWK!" I watch and see 1 of my GC randomly pecking the other girls. Next thing I know, one of my NHR chases her and down she squats and gets a few pecks to the head. Is this establishing a pecking order or is it something else? Thank you!

Mine do this periodically. They did it A LOT at first but now only seem to do it if one of the chickens forgets his/her place. It's pecking order. Don't interfere unless it gets bloody or out of control.
Make sure the ones getting picked on have somewhere to run and hide.

Last edited:
Mine do this periodically. They did it A LOT at first but now only seem to do it if one of the chickens forgets his/her place. It's pecking order. Don't interfere unless it gets bloody or out of control.
Make sure the ones getting picked on have somewhere to run and hide.

OK, I didn't really interfere...I did say "Hey!" but noone heard me. LOL I have only seen the girls squat to me so it was different seeing one squat to another chicken. Then she got pecked in the neck a few times. Was a bit comical to see really. Like a child getting scolded......Thank you!

if the feathers on their neck stand up that means their angry at each other and if not that means that they were just playing around i think

Back
Top Bottom