Pecking order?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csummer8882, Jan 24, 2012.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I have 6 chickens, 3 Golden Comet, 3 NHR and 1 RIR. The have plenty of grit, water, cracked corn and food available today. So I am changing out the water jug INSIDE the coop, they are all outside and all I keep hearing is a random "BAWK!" I watch and see 1 of my GC randomly pecking the other girls. Next thing I know, one of my NHR chases her and down she squats and gets a few pecks to the head. Is this establishing a pecking order or is it something else? Thank you!

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Mine do this periodically. They did it A LOT at first but now only seem to do it if one of the chickens forgets his/her place. It's pecking order. Don't interfere unless it gets bloody or out of control.
    Make sure the ones getting picked on have somewhere to run and hide.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The NHR who chased is likely the leader of the flock, highest on the pecking order. She will keep the peace and punish those who pick on others if she does a good job. She is taking the role of rooster.

4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    This is normal. They're just establishing the pecking order.

5. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    OK, great, thank you. We just got them this spring and I have never seen anything of this sort until today. Thank you.

6. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    OK, I didn't really interfere...I did say "Hey!" but noone heard me. LOL I have only seen the girls squat to me so it was different seeing one squat to another chicken. Then she got pecked in the neck a few times. Was a bit comical to see really. Like a child getting scolded......Thank you!

7. samuel

samuel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    if the feathers on their neck stand up that means their angry at each other and if not that means that they were just playing around i think

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by