pecking order

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Normally pecking order is established at a very young age among hatch mates. Once established among hens it stays the same, pecking order among roosters is also established at a young age but changes as one rooster is always trying to be the dominate one. I don't know about the pecking order as they go back to the coop at night. At my place the dominate hen is the last one to go in at night.

I have a pretty small flock (5 birds) and no rooster and feel like the power fluctuates a little from time to time but mostly stays the same. My silkie, who is definitely always the low bird in the pecking is usually the last to go to bed.

It usually stays the same, but it can change at times, for example, when a lower ranking hen goes broody and is rearing her chicks, she will get very aggressive and often this allows her to go up a lot in the pecking order. Also if a high up hen gets sick, she will drop in the pecking order once the others realise she is weaker.

The order they go into the coop does not always show the order of the pecking order. It depends if the chickens want to get in in a hurry or not. All mine will pile in all over each other in a big squashed mob because they know there are treats in there!

The real test of the pecking order would be to throw down a few meal worms. The higher ranking hens will dominate them, and the lower ones will have to stay on the outside and will get chased by the higher ones if they get too close to the pile of worms.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. My chicken's pecking order is always changing from month to month, but they did all grow up together. I think going to the coop first just means who wants to get the best spot on the roost first.

Back
Top Bottom