Pecking order ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tmck, Mar 3, 2013.

1. tmck

tmck New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Springville, TN
    I have a 4' x 8' chicken tractor with 3 nest boxes. I bought 2 Red Star & 1 Amber Link hens yesterday. (10 mos old) When I transferred them from the cage to the tractor the two Red Stars went strait up the ramp and blocked the door and would not let the Amber Link go inside. They later roosted in the door (not on the roost pole) and again blocked the Amber Link and she had to spend the night on the ground. Both of the Red Stars layed an egg this morning, but the Amber Link remains on the ground and has not layed yet.

Any ideas...I really hate to see the Amber Link on the ground all night. (25 degrees last night)

I think if the Red Stars had used the roost pole the Amber link may have gone inside.

I raised chickens several years ago...but, this is my first experience with a chicken tractor.
    tmck

2. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    You can put her on the roost through the clean out door after the other two are asleep but if the coop door is shut at night you will have to let her out at dawn.

Did you get them from the same place? Because it seems like the two have already established dominance.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. tmck

tmck New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Springville, TN
    AggieMae

Thanks...I put the Amber Link in and closed the door. They seemed to make it ok, but they roosted on the clean out tray again. I am thinking I may catch one via the clean out door and put her on the roost pole and see what happens.

tmck

4. tmck

tmck New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Springville, TN
    I forgot to mention that I made my roosting pole with a 2" x 2" board...could this be the problem?
    tmck

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you can close the door to the ramp when the first two enter the coop, they will likely move else where to sleep. If you can close the door do it and then catch the other one and put her in the coop as well.

The 2x2 will work, that is wide enough for them to be comfortable on. Many on here like to use 2x4s flat so they completely cover their toes when its cold. I don't see the need, they tend to hang the toes over the edge anyway.

6. tmck

tmck New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Springville, TN
    I put a 1" x 4" board on top of the 2 x 2 and it worked...they went strait to it. However, I guess the "Boss Hen" would not let them stay...I checked about an hour later and the "Boss Hen" was on the roost pole and the other two were on the floor. I feel sure the pole is long enough (4'). I am just going to let them deal with this "Pecking Order".
    Thanks again,

New in Tennessee...
    tmck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by