1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Pecking order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flrn, Jul 29, 2013.

1. flrn

flrn In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    SW Florida
    My Coop
    I have 6 girls ( pulletts or hens ? Not sure of difference) anyway they are about 18 weeks old an all ave been very friendly and I've never had a problem. Yesterday and today however when I went o let them out of he pen for their daily exercise one of my hens was acting all tough like. She would be right up to you and wouldn't budge even with a little nudge with your foot lol. In fact she started squaring and doing this little funny dance or scratching with her feet. At first I wasn't sure what it was and it made me a bit nervous. Looked like a little motor boat with her feet :). But I gently picked her up and placed her where I wanted her to be. She's always the last hen to go back in the coop and the first out of the coop too. Also my girls are getting quite vocal. Any suggestions?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you sure it's a girl? Cockerels do that to woo their hens.

3. alb9202

alb9202 In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    I have a pullet that does that, i call her witchy woman! Just like humans they all have different personalities. My grandmother chicken owner for 35+ yrs says she has had her fair share of hens that are bullish like some roosters

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, pullets/hens can do it too. But it's far more common in cockerels.

Do you have a picture of this bird?

1 person likes this.
  5. flrn

flrn In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    SW Florida
    My Coop
    I am sure it's a pullet but I will take a picture though of her. I'm checking every day for eggs I think they're getting ready to lay.

6. flrn

flrn In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    SW Florida
    My Coop
    Well this may have solved the problem lol. I found this yesterday in the nesting box. Surprise!!! My first egg!![​IMG]

7. alb9202

alb9202 In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    Yay first egg so exciting! It's a girl! Lol

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, that certainly confirms it's not a rooster..................or you'd be VERY VERY rich! Congrats!

9. flrn

flrn In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    SW Florida
    My Coop
    Thank you everyone. It s very eggciting (grin) and I actually has 2 that day. Nothing yesterday and only one today. So I think they they will all start soon enough but at least I knw now why thy wer getting all fussy. Poor things. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: