pecking order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nkraft, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Nkraft

Nkraft In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Vandalia, Missouri
    I have 8 rhode island reds, 4 of them were from my first flock, and because of my ignorance they weren't getting the propper nutrition and 3 of them were killed off by the others, one was lost in the woods after digging a hole under my run. Anyway, i just introduced 4 new hens into my flock, same breed, but about 6 months younger, i expected the flock to reestablish a pecking order, but not like this, the new hens are definitely the alphas, something i wasnt expecting, but one hen, the hen at the bottom of the totem pole i noticed was hiding in the corner of my coop, i coaxed her out of her hiding spot in order to give her feed, and she immediately came after me, several times I've stood in the open window covered by chicken wire and she will come at me and latch on to the chicken wire and flap her wings. If she doesn't stop this behavior i may be pulling out the frying pan. Any suggestions?

2. B-Goock

B-Goock Chirping

Jun 8, 2013
    southern indiana
    Guess she thinks your the bottom of the pecking order. Peck her back. [​IMG] I had an alpha hen pick on my smallest hen (little girl) so much that she would hide and not eat. My solution was to corner the alpha hen and "pecked her" with my fingers. Just poking at her head like the chickens do and pull a couple feathers like the chickens do. If I saw her being overly aggressive I would go in and corner her and peck her again until she would just sit with her head down. Made her submissive and put her in her place which wasn't at the top of the heap. Just a couple times and she left little girl alone.

When I introduced my new batch of chicks I did the chicken glasses thing and picking on was minimized yet a pecking order did develop. That may be an option for you so the picking isn't so severe and she doesn't have to hide. That may improve her attitude as well.

"happy chickens make more eggs"

3. Nkraft

Nkraft In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Vandalia, Missouri
    Im not familiar with the chicken glasses, and thanks for the inquiry.

4. Nkraft

Nkraft In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Vandalia, Missouri
    Just had another occurrence, this time the hens let her be, until she came at me, i stomped my foot at her, and she walked away, but the other hens pecked her back to her hiding spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: