1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking Order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momof4TX, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Momof4TX

Momof4TX Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    My dominant standard breed wyandotte/brabanter mix is attacking my smaller production red. More poor little one has a scabbed up comb now. Is it better to seperated the dominant from the group now that comb healing? The dominant one also nipped my glw roo on the wattles. Thinking she is just being mean. Will locking her in isolation help curb this behavior?

2. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    if you take away the agressive one out for a bit the rest of the chickens ( hopefully theres more than just 2......) she will be considered new and thrown to the bottom of the pecking order. taking her out for about 1 and 1/2 weeks should do it x3

3. Momof4TX

Mar 25, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Thank you. I'm new at chicken keeping. We have four girls and the roo that was supposed to be a girl. I dont want any of them to get hurt. They are great birds and this just started last week. They are in a 20x20 run with a store bought coop that said housed 6 birds. My roo gets between the two girls so I think that is how he got bit. I love my birds but really can't have a house chicken to keep it safe.

4. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Be careful with roosters! how old is he?? when they mature fully, roosters can be quite agressive breeders. this MAY not be a problem for yours at all, but its something to watch for. most people limit 1 rooster per 7 hens. [​IMG]

5. Momof4TX

Mar 25, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    He is a little over 5 months. He is good to his girls. I thought it was him that was going after the little one while trying to mate her, but I caught the dominant girl attacking little one in the nest boxes one day last week. That was when I realized he was trying to protect the little one. He tried to dominate me but gave up that battle after being carried around a few days in a row. Now he just watches me and occasionally makes low grunty noises if I'm doing something that he thinks I should not be doing.

1 person likes this.
  6. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    hmm. well definatly try the thing where u remove the bully for a bit

7. Momof4TX

Mar 25, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Well removing one caused the other two to move into position of being the bullies. So we now have a house chicken. My little girl will be living inside for the time being.

8. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    well keep in mind they will and need to peck at her a bit. shes now new again and they need to hold there position on the pecking order.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This may be part of the problem, coop is probably too small.

I'd remove the bully bird.

10. Momof4TX

Mar 25, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Thank you for the response. All three bigger girls are bullying the smaller one. We have decided to make the smaller girl into a house pet. She is loving all the attention of course. DH only stepped on her once today so far. Lol. She follows him around clucking at him now so he knows she is present.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by