Pecking order

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by backyardflock1, Nov 28, 2014.

1. backyardflock1

backyardflock1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hi, this is speckled the speckled Sussex [​IMG] we integrated her and 6 other birds into a flock. We took the ones out that weren't doing well. It's been about a month and we are consider in taking speckles inside to heal because of: [​IMG] is this worthy of taking her inside to heal for a couple days? Is there any way to clean it to make sure it doesn't get infected? Thanks :)

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    You should take her in the house for a few days. Clean the wound by rinsing it with water, then pour a little peroxide on it. Then put an antibiotic cream such as neosporin on it. After a few says when it's not raw, put Blue kote on it and send her back out. Hope this helped!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. backyardflock1

backyardflock1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Massachusetts
    thanks for the fast reply! :) I'll do just this, thanks!

4. growsaposy

growsaposy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    My little runt Sunny, has a big wound near her butt from being pecked. It is about 2" in diameter but doesn't seem to bother her at all. So we converted an old birdcage (2x4x4) into a hospital, about 25 yds. away from her 5 sisters who caused this by taking turns pecking her. We gave it a soak, tried to remove black (perhaps necrotic) tissue, but she screamed when I cut so that was that. I have bathed area and applied neosporin and am hoping for the best. Her appetite is fine in fact she even laid us a little pale blue egg over nightl So I put her in outside hospital today with heat at night and the rest of the flock (6) came over and stayed by her during their free-range time this aft. Thinking they missed her I let her out with them and right away they started in on her. Wellcome back! So back she went in isolation. Any suggestions or additions? I can't think what else to do!

5. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    @Growsaposy, the reason they started to peck her again is because of the redness of the wound. When a chicken sees redness or blood, it goes in attack mode. Wait till your chickens wound is not raw and apply blue kote on it (as suggested to backyardflock1) as this covers the redness, and helps keep it from infection (it also has healing properties).

Do not try to clip the skin. If there is dead flaps of tissue, they will fall off. Clipping will only be painful and cause more rawness.

Hope I helped!

6. growsaposy

growsaposy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Thank you so much. You were very helpful. We just bought Blu-Cote. Will bathe her wound again in the a.m. apply meds and Blue cote. She made herself a little nest in our "hospital" cage and she gave us another pale blue egg this morning. Sweet little girl! thanks again.

7. l8nitghtshopper

l8nitghtshopper New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Started off with 14 12wk old guinea fowl Keets in March had 4 stolen and lost 2 to a large owl and 1girl I think is sitting on eggs in a private spot. The seven that I have left aren't very happy to be a family and 6of them have completely ostracised the 1male. He hangs back but still stays near the others but they do not allow him to forage or get too close, he does roost in the same tree at night. What will happen to him ? The others are pairing off but with the loss of the others I now have an uneven male / female count and one very lonely fella ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by