Pecking Order

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chquinta, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Chquinta

Chquinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    So I introduced my 19 week BO's to my adults and they are still scared and run for shelter. I have 2 EE's that are at the top of pecking order and then I have what they say are RSL hens (2) and they are at the bottom of the pecking order. How will they get the pecking order established if they run for shelter until they are gone.

2. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    [​IMG]

Here's 1 of the RSL she is middle of pecking order.

3. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    [​IMG]

Here's the other RSL she's the end of the pecking order.

4. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Those 2 are the ones that will chase and peck at them. As soon as they come out from shelter they run after them making them go back in shelter. There's no blood just chasing and lots of pecking sometimes they get on top of them. My 2 EE's sometimes will peck at them but hardly mess with them.

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    If they start getting bloodied etc. then you might need to intervene but here is what I would do.

Add more hiding spots and several watering and feeding stations along with a few more roosts.

This doesn't apply to OP but it's good info:
    When introducing birds into larger flock do it at night and try to not just put one new bird in with the flock. It is easier to introduce groups than individuals because it wont be just one or two birds getting the brunt of the bullying.

6. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    There are 4 BO's and 1 Welsummer that I introduced to my 4 adults. They have 3 hiding spots and 3 different feeding / watering stations.

7. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Did these two groups have any time to get to know one another through the safety of a barrier (like chicken wire) where they could see each other, but not peck each other? It's helpful to do this for at least a couple of weeks before introducing them face-to-face.

My 16-week-old pullets spent a couple of weeks running from the older hens whenever they approached. Over time, they worked out a pecking order. It just takes time.

I have a welsummer too! She's a sweetie and lays beautiful eggs, although she was flighty as all get-out until she started laying.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  8. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Yes they had there separate coop inside the big coop and could come out into there own run and see the other chicks for 2 weeks then I took off the wire and they could get out of the run and mingle a little with the big hens but could run back in for shelter and the big hens could not fit through the bars only the new flock now I took the little run off and put it across from there coop so the coop is open completely for either hen to get in and they can go out but if they need shelter they can go up to the coop or across to the run that I took off that only they fit into but usually they go hide under a built in shelf where I have the nesting boxes at, the boxes are on top and they run under there not sure y cuz the big hens and still go under there but hey that's what they do. They won't roost together yet my new flock roost in there coop and the big hens roost in the big coop which they can go to roost if they want but I usually see them in the smaller coop and just lock it up. I have never seen any of them fly higher then about 2Ft if about that is it normal. My old flock I swear kept flying out over a 5 ft fence so I had to clip there wings but never seen these fly higher then the ladder for the roost which is about maybe 2 ft.

9. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just give it some time and they will work it out.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Song of Joy is right - it will just take time. Sometimes two flocks don't blend at all, but will range near each other. Separating them may help lessen the intensity of the pecking order, but it still has to happen to some extent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by