1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pecking orders

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by raph, Dec 30, 2012.

1. raph

raph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    I have twenty chickens dew to a hatch earlier this year.I need to get some more birds out of cages an in some electric wire.
    I would like to get my Araucana's out in it (the wire) but its pointless having to birds(theres only 2 araucanas) in there so i was thinking about entering my warren cockerel as well but, would they fight then stop and get over it, or kill each other?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry I don't quite understand your post. Electric wire? Do you mean electric poultry fencing?

If you put 2 roosters together they will probably fight, yes. And they can kill each other if they don't resolve their issues.

3. raph

raph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yeah I mean the electric poultry wire.

The thing is i hatched some chicks and got 5 cockerels.I have twenty chicken and ten are cockerels and ten are hens.
    About 7 chicken are out in the poultry wire at the minute.
    That means i have 13 chicken in separate cages, as its Christmas Ive got enough money to buy poultry wire i need to get them out in some wire.

As they aren't game birds would they fight, one losses and stops fighting, or would they keep going?

They would have the room to get away from each other.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Ten roosters with ten hens is not going to work. You can keep them separate but then one roo to one hen means the roo's are going to "over mate" the hens. Keep them together with those few hens and they are going to fight non-stop. I think you should either get more hens or rehome some of the roosters. One rooster to ten hens would be ideal.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X2 on sumi's advice. Yes, a one to one ratio will not be healthy for the hens - or the roosters for that matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by