Pecking other chickens

candice1216

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 8, 2014
I own 4 chickens, 2 Black Australorps, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 golden comet. ivw had my chickens since they were young. They've grown up together since March. The Golden Comet just recently started laying eggs approximately 3 weeks ago, and just this past week, I've noticed that she's become aggressive towards one particular chicken, one of the Australorps, by pecking her on the head. I like to hold my chickens, so after I do, and I go to put the one up in the coop, the golden comet begins to attack her. I watched them closely tonight and I watched the golden comet corner the same chicken and try to peck her. My Australorp is cornering her face in the corner to protect herself and makes whining sounds whenever the golden comet approached her. My Australorp has become terrified of her. I want to know 1, how do I prevent this and help stop it, and 2, why is she only doing this to one particular chicken? Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm beginning to feel horrible that my chicken is having to deal with this.

Normally I would say this is just establishing the 'pecking order', but it does sound like the Golden Comet is taking it a step further...might have something to do with the fact that she is the first to lay. You need to watch them closely and do not let it get out of control. If it gets bloody you need to isolate that Golden Comet, sort of like chicken jail. Hopefully that will teach her a lesson...I wish you all the best!
frow.gif

Thank you! I'm definitely going to keep my eye on her. Especially since the chicken she's "bullying" I guess you could say, seems to me like the shy kid at school, the sweetest one. But thanks for your help!

Things get wonky when laying starts, hormones.
Do you have plenty of coop space?
Make sure the bullied pullet has space to get away and/or hide out of line of sight from the bully.

Does this only happen when you handle the birds?
Might be a good idea not to handle them as much until they are all well into their laying routines.

I haven't seen it as much in the past couple days, but it still occurs, just not as much. which is a great thing! But thank you!

I know how you feel! One of my chickens has been bullied for about a week now. The other day, she would try to go into the coop and she would repeatedly be chased off. If she managed to get into the coop, several would follow her and I would hear this horrible commotion and out she would come with the others following her. Finally, I managed to put my foot in front of the pop door after she went in. When the others got busy, I closed the door! After awhile I checked on her, and she was in one of the nests! I decided she was wanting to lay. She didn't lay an egg that day, but she may have today, because someone was singing the egg song! I also noticed they have calmed down some and aren't chasing and pecking her like they were. The nest she picked was one that no one else has been using. Mine have just started laying and I'm getting 3 - 4 eggs per day from 6 hens. I think I have one or two that aren't laying yet
idunno.gif
although they should be by now. I was hoping she was one of them! Maybe it is just "hormones"!

Back
Top Bottom