pecking people??!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ercky&perky, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ercky&perky

ercky&perky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    alberta
    I have 5 brahmas, and when you go in there pen or coop they wander around and peck at my shoes and my pants the only problem is they hurt when they peck through my jeans [​IMG] what can I do to make them stop and is this normal??

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Mine all peck my hands, especially my rings, but I brought it on by hand-feeding them bread. Don't know how to stop it...sorry.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    It's perfectly normal. Mine peck my shoes, my pants, my rings - it's just what they do.

4. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    When my hens seem to be getting pushy with me, or act like they may peck I stand tall over them and move at them, in a strong dominat manner. They back right off, and if they come towards me again, I just do it again. I have to add though, my house/ pet sitter says it doesn't work for her and that they chase her. I think they maybe just don't like her. But I do think they can sense fear just like any animal. [​IMG]

5. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Mine do it too. I've found that if I stand and give them a gentle repeated nudge to them in their side or chest with the side of my foot/ leg it helps. The've been really bad lately with my five year old. I call him the chicken whisperer because he can always pick up whomever he wants. But lately they just peck at him like crazy to the point he can't stand and hold one with out the others harassing him. So I stand in the run with him to start with and gently nudge everyone away. They seem to get the picture and back off. I'm still trying to get my son to do it for himself. I've also found that if I squat down and firmly and repeatedly pet the pecking ones that it calms the pecking.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I don't mind the normal chicken pecking, but if one gets rough I shove her away and tell her NO in a harsh voice. Worked wonder with my roo, but my 12 week olds think they own me.

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    ercky&perky :

I have 5 brahmas, and when you go in there pen or coop they wander around and peck at my shoes and my pants the only problem is they hurt when they peck through my jeans [​IMG] what can I do to make them stop and is this normal??

They only peck at my rings, and my feet when I've got crocs on ( I forget sometimes and have them on). They also peck at me when I come in the run with a bucket or pan-- they know I've got goodies for them and can't wait to be the first chickie running around with food in it's beak!​

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If it hurts when chickens peck at your shoes, wear heavier shoes.[​IMG][/img]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by