Pecking people

jennyrb6

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014

I just got three brahma chicks, three weeks old.
At dusk, two of them kept pecking at my hand and charging at me when I tried to pick them up to bring them inside.
Is this typical behavior of Brahmas to peck at or try to attack people?

Last edited:
At three weeks old, I'd put it down to more of being inquisitive behaviour, but certainly some cockerels can be more confident in that sense. Sorry, I don't know anything about the breed.

I was thinking the same thing about those being roos. The light color one is the nice one. The other two are the pecking ones. Hoping they were just scared because it was getting dark outside.

They will also peck at anything that shines / reflects light, so your finger nails, rings are likely considered worthy of a peck - its how they explore objects.

I agree that pecking at hands that are moving within the vicinity of a chick may very well signify the chick is a cockerel. In that case, you need to begin behavior modification immediately or risk having a problem in a few months when the cockerel comes into his hormones. A poke on the back each time the chick engages in unacceptable behavior will go a long way toward modifying the bad behavior. If the chick isn't responding to this discipline, if the chick is closing in on sexual maturity, you may need to immobilize the chick until it submits. It's never too early to begin disciplining a male chick when it displays aggressive behavior.

Understand, though, that all chickens use their beaks to explore and to communicate. It does not necessarily indicate aggression. You'll soon find out the difference between aggression and simple communication as you spend time with your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom