1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking Problem and need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by e72071, Apr 15, 2017.

1. e72071

e72071 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    My flock is 10 weeks old. They all grew up together in the same brooder and no issues. We moved them outside Tuesday and by Thursday 1 of them had been pecked so bad on the backend she was bleeding. We cleaned her up, put some blukote on her and kept her isolated for 2 days to heal a little. Today we brought her back out and everything seemed fine. I watched for a while to make sure no one bothered her. I just went back out after a couple hours and she's all beat up and bloody again. I isolated her again but I'm afraid this isn't going to stop.

Any ideas as to why all of a sudden this started and how can I get it to stop?

2. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    Any help would be appreciated.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would spend some time with them interacting to see who is being a bully and what the problem is. How many chicks are in how big a coop? Can they go outside to run around? What are they eating? Overcrowding and not being able to find things to occupy themselves can cause pecking. Too little protein in the diet can be a problem. 20% protein is just about right for young chickens in a grower feed, with nothing else to lower the protein. Sometimes people give too many treats or use scratch which may lower the protein level. Separate bullies away from the others. I have had good luck with BluKote, but others say it invites more pecking. Try a bad tasting ointment or cream instead--such as Nustock, Bag Balm, or menthol-based oitment, such as BENGAY or Vicks.What breeds are your chicks? Some breeds can be more agressive, but some can also be more shy or lower in the pecking order. If a chick is showing signs of illness, sometimes they will get picked on. I hope that you can help her.

4. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY

We have 20 chicks in an 8x8 coop and a 24x24 run. We are only giving them grower feed with treats maybe once a week. I've actually stayed out there with them for a while and it's not 1 bird in particular doing the pecking. It's just odd that they were all fine in the brooder and now that they are outdoors it started.

5. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    I think we found the problem. It actually was a couple of the boys but they would peck at her until she bled then all the birds pecked at her. We have isolated the boys for a bit and hopefully it will stop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by