Pecking problem with my Polish chicks

JNicoleS

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2018
Hi all! I have a mixed flock of 3 week old chicks and all has been well until this morning when I went to feed/clean I saw that two out of the 5 of the white crested polish chicks I have look to be missing half of their head plumage. I can see their skin and it is bright pink. This is my first flock and after reading, I'm wondering if they arent being pecked by the others. Any advice or experience with this type of scenario would be of so much help! I plan to continue to monitor, medicate their heads and if anything worsens, separate them into a small enclosure within the area so the other birds cant peck any longer. Could I be over reacting and they are just getting their new feathers in?.........worried mama

Are you keeping them with other breeds? That can be a problem especially if they don't have a lot of room. Polish can be mixed with other breeds successfully as long as there's lots of room, and they aren't confined. I wouldn't mind polish with other breeds if you have a smaller space.

I would definitely be concerned about their heads pecked. That can turn deadly quickly. If you are seeing problems at 3 weeks it will get worse.

How big is your brooder? Generally by 2 weeks chicks need a bigger area and do best going outside for a bit each day.

Polish hens and roosters start at a disadvantage. They are sight challenged by their head gear and this means that Polish chickens are always blundering into trouble with other chickens by violating the personal space of the rest of the flock. This is not taking into consideration that a Polish chickens smaller size makes them a target of opportunity for the rest of the flock..

I have eight Polish that are 11 weeks old and I have successfully integrated into a mixed flock of 21 hens, led by a White Crested, Black, Polish roo! He was the only Polish at the time in a flock of 29 chicks and needless to say we had a long running issue with his head feathers being pulled out, and with the hens even drawing blood!

I was given some great advise by the members here on BYC and bought some "Rooster Booster anti pick" at Tractor Supply . I guess it tastes extremely nasty because the hens left him alone after the first taste. It is dark grey and smells weird but it won't hurt your chicks! I use it for most open sores or fleshy pink spots that arise now and then and it works like a charm for me!

I also clip my Polish chick's crest feathers (all 9 of them) to give them more of an advantage and to let them see where they are going (Bless their little hearts)! I dearly love the breed!

I am currently keeping them in an old baby play crib that is about 4.5 X 4.5 ft square. I plan on moving them to their permanent outdoor coop in another week and a half to two weeks. We've had so much rain that burying the hardware cloth has become mud play :rantbut it wont be long now. The mix is BR,EE, Americauna, assorted Cochins and 5 white crested Polish. I chose the breeds because I have 8 year olds and want them child friendly and of a calmer and more social temperment. We got them for eggs and mainly as pets. Its just two out of the five of my polish that are affected right now. The other three have thick head feathers that are just thickening more and getting longer. I could be an overly worried mama and its just part of their getting their first true feathers and losing their baby fluff...I AM a newbie. Searching around the house I found a product called Chigarid who's ingredients are Camphor, Menthol and Phenol that is meant to soothe any pain and minor itching involved with insect bites, abrasions, burns,or minor irritations but I'm waiting to see how they are faring in the morning before using it. I also thought about adding pine tree essential oil (just a dab) as I read that the taste of pine tar helps because the birds hate the taste of it. Do either of these sound like a viable option to try? I dont want to irritate their skin! If not, I'll head to the feed store and get something more appropriate. Ive kept fresh greens for them to pick at, millet , cantalope and have a swing, perch and ladder in with them in an attempt to give them plenty to prevent boredom for the immediate time being until they move into their chicken "palace". The rain has kept EVERYONE boxed in, but hopefully it won't last much longer. I REALLY appreciate the feedback! Any knowledge is greatly appreciated and will get jotted into my chicken approved chick list :frow Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have eight Polish that are 11 weeks old and I have successfully integrated into a mixed flock of 21 hens, led by a White Crested, Black, Polish roo! He was the only Polish at the time in a flock of 29 chicks and needless to say we had a long running issue with his head feathers being pulled out, and with the hens even drawing blood!

I was given some great advise by the members here on BYC and bought some "Rooster Booster anti pick" at Tractor Supply . I guess it tastes extremely nasty because the hens left him alone after the first taste. It is dark grey and smells weird but it won't hurt your chicks! I use it for most open sores or fleshy pink spots that arise now and then and it works like a charm for me!

I also clip my Polish chick's crest feathers (all 9 of them) to give them more of an advantage and to let them see where they are going (Bless their little hearts)! I dearly love the breed!
Thanks GreatGranny. I'll see if I cant find that product as it will be good to always have it on hand now that I know how jealous the other ladies can get over a flowing crown of feathers!

Our coup is permanent so I'll try and make a moveable A frame with netting so they can free range too...Thanks!

I am currently keeping them in an old baby play crib that is about 4.5 X 4.5 ft square. I plan on moving them to their permanent outdoor coop in another week and a half to two weeks. We've had so much rain that burying the hardware cloth has become mud play :rantbut it wont be long now. The mix is BR,EE, Americauna, assorted Cochins and 5 white crested Polish. I chose the breeds because I have 8 year olds and want them child friendly and of a calmer and more social temperment. We got them for eggs and mainly as pets. Its just two out of the five of my polish that are affected right now. The other three have thick head feathers that are just thickening more and getting longer. I could be an overly worried mama and its just part of their getting their first true feathers and losing their baby fluff...I AM a newbie. Searching around the house I found a product called Chigarid who's ingredients are Camphor, Menthol and Phenol that is meant to soothe any pain and minor itching involved with insect bites, abrasions, burns,or minor irritations but I'm waiting to see how they are faring in the morning before using it. I also thought about adding pine tree essential oil (just a dab) as I read that the taste of pine tar helps because the birds hate the taste of it. Do either of these sound like a viable option to try? I dont want to irritate their skin! If not, I'll head to the feed store and get something more appropriate. Ive kept fresh greens for them to pick at, millet , cantalope and have a swing, perch and ladder in with them in an attempt to give them plenty to prevent boredom for the immediate time being until they move into their chicken "palace". The rain has kept EVERYONE boxed in, but hopefully it won't last much longer. I REALLY appreciate the feedback! Any knowledge is greatly appreciated and will get jotted into my chicken approved chick list :frow Thanks!!
"Rooster Booster anti pick" at Tractor Supply is what I used and it worked great! Also, I agree with you reference the temperment of the Polish breed! They are amazingly calm and naturally friendly. That is why we have decided to add them to our existing flock!

They definitely need way more room. I would triple their area personally. Pecking should stop when they can run and flap and burn off energy. Bluekote can be used to hid the skin which attracts pecking.

Things will only get worse if they don't have more room.

They definitely need way more room. I would triple their area personally. Pecking should stop when they can run and flap and burn off energy. Bluekote can be used to hid the skin which attracts pecking.

Things will only get worse if they don't have more room.
My first mixed flock had plenty of room but insisted on peckingat my Polish roo's head feathers, anyway. The way the feathers twisted and moved tempted them to peck at his head, as if they were something to eat! I used the anti peck because it leaves a bad taste in their beaks and eventually they connect the flowing feathers to the bad taste! It took awhile and Poli's head looked funky but after awhile the pecking stopped!

Back
Top Bottom