Pecking Problem??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizi.beth915, Oct 18, 2011.

1. lizi.beth915

lizi.beth915 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    So I have 15 chickens. 7 are just about to start laying eggs and the rest are 10-11 weeks old. We integrated the two groups together about 3 weeks ago, & there was some pecking from the older girls, which is to be expected, but it's mostly been settled out and they've been getting along fine for the most part, now. the acception is our australorp (Agnes.) She's been having a serious pecking problem. She pecks the younger girls & she's recently started pecking the older girls. It used to be just a few pulled feathers on the younger ones here and there, but I noticed today that she pecked the crap out of an older Buff orps's waddle ( & I think she even tore off a piece of the skin.) Today, when I was locking up, Agnes even started pecking ME in the back of the head!!! It seems like she just keeps getting bolder & bolder with it.

Any suggestions to break her of it!!? I don't want mean chickens!

Thanks, Liz.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    how did u intergrate ur chickens? i have some 3mth some 1mth and i want to put them together but im not sure how or how old..i am also having a problem with some pecking the other ones, so i look forward to reading the answer u get..

3. lizi.beth915

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    mrs b. bates farm :

how did u intergrate ur chickens? i have some 3mth some 1mth and i want to put them together but im not sure how or how old..i am also having a problem with some pecking the other ones, so i look forward to reading the answer u get..

Everyone does it differently, I know alot of people keep them in ajoining runs, so they can see each other but not physically touch each other for a month. I didn't have that kind of time, so I just kept the little ones in the run with their brooder box on its side for shelter for a week or two. Then I put them together & had boxes on the floor with holes that the little ones could fit into and hide in, but the bigger girls couldn't get in there.

After 2 weeks.. everything seemed to calm down. there was some pecking & bullying at first, but now they're even roosting together! They still free-range in separate groups.. but I guess that'll take time. Our only problem is Agnes. [​IMG]
    Hope that helped!​

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    oh dear, I have to start to integrate this next week.....not looking forward to it AT ALL.
    I have 3 australorps that just happen to be my biggest bullies this batch. Sad to say, their behavior earned them a trip to the soup pot next week. Suggestion? Pinless peepers, remove your aussie to isolation to lower her in the pecking behavior, make sure they have enough space/distractions, etc. That's all I can think of....
    Sometimes they start pulling feathers cuz they are yummy and the only source of (some) amino acid - I can't remember what it is called. Maybe throw a little BOSS in their run (BOSS also contains that amino acid). When I think of what it is called, I will edit it in.
    I hope things settle down for you soon.

5. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    yes that helped alot, i really appreiciate it

6. lizi.beth915

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Sure, no problem. [​IMG]
    && I just put Agnes in time out. (which is a large cardboard box I set up in my sunroom. hehehe.)
    She can stay in there until she learns to play nice [​IMG]

7. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Sounds like the pecking order is being reestablished. Australorps like to be head hen. Cover the wounds in BluKote and add hanging distractions for them, like a head of lettuce, cabbage or even a whole pumpkin in the run. Be sure to have double waterers and feeders as well. Then just give them time....Keep us posted.

8. lizi.beth915

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Tilly's Nest :

Sounds like the pecking order is being reestablished. Australorps like to be head hen. Cover the wounds in BluKote and add hanging distractions for them, like a head of lettuce, cabbage or even a whole pumpkin in the run. Be sure to have double waterers and feeders as well. Then just give them time....Keep us posted.

Will do. Thanks for the advice. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by