Pecking Problems - No More Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tikitiki, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tikitiki

tikitiki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    I have a flock of five hens: one EE, one silver cuckoo marans, and three red stars. They are all one year old, and have all been laying for a while now (the EE started a few weeks ago). Just this week we stopped getting eggs. I noticed that all of the hens but the EE appear to have had all of the feathers ripped off of their butts (right below their vents - kind of between their legs), so I assume that the EE is pecking the rest of them (we have seen the EE pecking the others). Could this be what is causing none of them to lay eggs??? How do I fix this?

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yes, it is the stress the other bird is causing the rest to slow down or stop. She obviously is the ring master and roost master. Separate her from the other girls for a while, get some spray from your supplier called stop-pek or whatever it is. Spray their butts but still keep the ring leader separate for a while(week or so). Happens alot. It may pass or she will remain persistant. Give her a chance in isolation and see what happens. Steve

3. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    What Steve said. Keep her out for a whole and when she is re introduced, the pecking order will have changed. Also, put some apple cider vinegar in the water for the other girls. It helps with stress. It may take them a few weeks to start laying again, but they will

4. tikitiki

Apr 21, 2012
    Thank you everyone! She had a little alone time, and we put some hay and leaves in the run to occupy the chicks a bit more. I also made some hard cakes of feed, oatmeal, flaxseed, dried berries and eggs for them to peck at in the coop. Just went out to check on them and we have eggs! Two from our Red Stars and 1 from the bully EE. The only thing is that she is still laying in the corner of the coop instead of the nesting box. I think this is a symptom of her broodiness, but how do I break her of it? Should she have more alone time? Should I put her egg in the nesting box to show her that is where to lay? She just started laying - I think this is maybe her 7th or 8th egg. Or does it just resolve itself with time? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

5. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Do you have fake nest eggs in the laying boxes? That can help

6. tikitiki

Apr 21, 2012
    No. Where do I get something like that? Before the girls started laying, we put golf balls in the nesting boxes, but once they started laying, we removed them. Would those work?

7. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Yep! Put the golf balls back. I have wooden "eggs" in mine that old man carved :)
    Some people take the plastic Easter eggs and fill them w rocks or sand and then tape them shut. I tried ping pong balls in mine, but the girls knocked them out. I would definitely put the golf balls back tho. if she is tame enough to let you pick her up, you can place her in the nest box every time you go out. I've done that before. She finally got the idea of "hey, maybe I'm supposed to do something in here" ha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by