pecking problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jacob42, May 14, 2009.

1. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    My chicks are 3weeks old. I have 6 Polish tophats, they just starting fighting today, a little blood from the main two. What do I do? They have been fine until just now. I put a fence around their box yesterday so they would stop pooping on my floor. Also what age is reccomended for outside? Im in Minnesota so nights are high 40's and days are 60's now. Mainly tho, how do I get the two to stop fighting?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You need to figure out who the agressive one is and get it out of there. In the meantime the injured one needs to seperated until healed. Chickens have a tendency to pick on injured birds.

3. Jacob42

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    There is two that have just a drop of blood on their beaks from the fight, what do I wo with them and how long do I seperate them?

4. whippet128

whippet128 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Are they still under lights. What color lights? Give more info for better help. This can probably be solved without alot of work. How much space do they have to run? anything else to pic at? Do you have any bluecoat?

5. Jacob42

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    Still under heat light but over 2 feet up, white light. Should I change to red or normal bulb? There are 6 chicks in a black plastic tub about 3.5 feet X just over 2 feet. Thet still chase each other around and they have a couple perching places. I took the fence down and they are a bit better but my favorite one is still picking on a couple others. What is bluecoat? What else could they pick at? I give them noodles or meal worms and sometimes bits of small earth worms for treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by