pecking pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dmborden, Sep 15, 2012.

1. dmborden

dmborden New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Waterville, WA
    I have 6 pullets that have been raised together, they are about 5 months old (5-6 eggs per day, great shells). I have one red that has started pecking all the other girls on their back by their tail and leg feathers. At first I noticed one that had really nasty looking feathers and was worried about worms etc. after examining her and feeding and dusting with DE, I now notice they are all looking like her. Except for this one red that is nice and pretty and is pecking them all and pulling feathers out. What to do? I know they have a pecking order and all but she is going to draw blood I am afraid. Is she needing something in her diet? If I remove her will another take her place and do the same thing?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Rooster? sounds like it to me!

3. dmborden

dmborden New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Waterville, WA
    We have got 6 eggs on numerous occasions. Comb and waddle are like the others and she doesnt crow.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Overcrowding, boredon, lack of exercise, too few feeding and watering stations, excessive heat, too little salt or protein and external parasites can cause feather picking. Keep Blue Kote on hand for any wounds if blood gets drawn. Good luck. :thumbsup

5. dmborden

dmborden New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Waterville, WA
    I will up the number of feeders etc. They have a large area, but I would like to let them free range more. We have a 4 year old Great Dane that most likley will chase, play and or eat them. I have to put him in the house when I let the chickens out to roam. Does anyone out there have tips for training a dog to be around loose chickens?

6. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Welcome to BYC! You've come to the right place!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dmborden

dmborden New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Waterville, WA
    Thank you for all the welcome posts!

DOG UPDATE--I took Porter (our Great Dane) out on a leash yesterday after I posted this and worked with him in the chicken yard. He walked right in and started excitedly sniffing around, the first chicken he went up to and started to sniff, I loudly commanded NO and slapped his nose. He immediately stopped and sat and looked at me for assurance. I praised him and we continued to follow the chickens in the pen all the while verbally praising him and saying how good he was and patting him on the side and petting his head, he never once tried to sniff or lunge at them. I open the pen door and let the chickens out and we still followed. Even when the girls came over to him and pecked his foot he still did not even look at them. After a while I dropped the leash and walked around. He sat still and watched. After I removed his leash, he made a bee line for the back door and laid down. He has been out with them ever since and has not even looked their way!! I should have done that a long time ago. I never thought it would be that easy! I still would never go off and leave them alone, but now when we are home their door can be left propped open.

Still pecking though. So now they have been out on an acre of land most of the day yesterday and half the day today. I just witnessed the one red still pecking at the others while in the field. So I think I can rule out boredom, and lack of space/ overcrowding. It is not hot and they have been eating mealworms I give them and catching grasshoppers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by