Pecking solutions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whittychick, Mar 3, 2014.

1. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    A couple of my chickens are being pecked!! I have done all I can do to change the coop setup, there's plenty of room, multiple waterers and food containers! What's the problem! I feed them layer crumbles and provide treats and oyster shells! Why are they doing this? Help! What can I do for the pecked chickens? I've been applying AnD ointment, anything else? Thanks!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    If there is any red blood color on the chickens it needs to be covered to hide it. A ointment doesn't hide the wound. The color red is a flag and triggers the cannibalism in them. The behavior can start due to over crowding, low protein level of feed or boredom. You can get Blue-kote spray (a purple antiseptic used for wounds) at Tractor Supply or other similar type stores. Cover the area well and also spray feather around the area. Chickens don't like the taste of Blue-Kote but, it won't hurt them. There is also a product called Peck-no-more that works well. Try upping the protein in their diet to at least 18% Some Layer feeds are only 16% which it a little low, unless they are free ranging and getting bugs and worms too. Hope this helps.

3. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Thanks so much! What else can I add to up their protein? I give them layer crumbles now and I'll have to check how much protein it provides

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Chickens like canned tuna (in water) good protein but, can get expensive if you are giving them a can every other day. Cooked scrambled eggs is good protein and they love it. Don't give them raw eggs - good protein but could cause them to become egg eaters. If you find your layer formula is only 16% check other brands that are available. They also have Flock Raiser feed widely available that is higher protein and can be used to supplement the layer feed you already have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by