Pecking the paint

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jilara, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    The chicken run is next to the garage (forms one side), and there are layers of paint on the garage that probably go back to when it was built in the 1930's. Some of the paint on the siding has cracking, and the other day, I noticed flakes had come off.

Well, sure enough, it was one of the girls. Bianca, the big Cornish X, was reaching up and pecking at the cracked area. What worries me is that I am sure there is lead paint down in those layers, because...well, just about all paint had lead in it, back then, didn't it?

So I'm now worried about Bianca getting lead in her diet. I'm also worried about whether, when she starts laying, if any might get into the eggs? Honestly, chickens seem to find a way to get into everything! Especially Bianca, who seems to be eating just about anything that is even remotely resembling food or grit.

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
  3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jillara....you have a bunch of bird brains...I thought it was only my 5 brats that pic paint! I have shingled, stapled garden cover to the wall, put plastic up with a few shingles at the lower edge, and they continue to find something to pick at, but atleast the stuff they pick at this point is off the untreated shingles and its grit! lol. Gooood luck to you! (remember, if its where a child can reach it...so can't your chickens, if its lead paint you should scrape it down and coat with latex paint (not that its any healthier!).

4. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    This is NOT encouraging. I just hope that Bianca doesn't turn this into a habit, because the only suitable area for chickens in my yard is adjoining the garage.

I worry about scraping, as well, because I just know some chips are going to fall down into the chicken yard. Maybe painting over it with latex will at least contain it for a while.

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yes, if you scrape you have worry about dust and soil contamination, not to mention breathing it in yourself. Ugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by