Pecking the rump...beginning of pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boheme, Mar 26, 2012.

1. boheme

boheme Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    First post, first little flock of 4 EE pullets from Orscheln. 3 are about 2 weeks old, and the 4th is 1 week. The little one is having normal-looking poops but has a little poop-debris on her rear end. Just a bit of smearing that has stuck to some of her down around the vent, but not on or super close to the vent. The other chicks think this is an invitation to peck at her there. I'm afraid it's going to inflame her if they get too close to the vent. I'm going to dab her off with some warm water and cotton, but is there something else I should be doing? Again, she is pooping just fine (I sat and watched until she poo'd just to be sure!) and nothing looks irritated or inflamed. I'm just afraid it will become inflamed if she gets pecked there since I've read posts on here that the pecking can be related to pasty butt.

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Pasty butt is probably constipation, but you are right, they will peck at it, really at anything different. And you are right to gently clean or soak it off. A bit of something like Vaseline, Neosporin, Crisco or vegetable oil on the butt after you clean it will help stop the next poop from sticking. Try giving them something different in the brooder every day -- just some little thing to hop on, a small stuffed toy or pocket mirror or jar lid -- whatever.

3. boheme

boheme Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Yes, after her rump was washed and dried the others seem to be leaving it alone. Maybe a bit of debris sticking to the feathers occasionally is normal. I'll just keep watching it and keeping her clean. I watched a vid last night on cleaning a chicks pasty butt and it definitely was nothing like that, just a few feathers with a smear. I guess it was just too interesting to the other chicks for them to leave it alone! :)

I've been sticking things in there for them to play with (a long narrow children's block, a small three sided cardboard box with shavings) so thanks for the additional ideas. I'm new so not sure about what it chick-safe or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by