pecking?? True or False?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angel16, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, i wondered if this was true or false; my mom heard that if hens start pecking at each other and draw blood that they all will go after the one that is bleeding. is this true?

2. Sunkhaze Farm

Sunkhaze Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    seems to be so with my flock right now :(

3. Angel16

really? i thought that it wasn't true cause it sounded more like sharks then chicken! how do you stop it?

4. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    Just yesterday I heard some loud chirping coming from my brooder box of baby chicks. One chick was standing on top of another chick holding it down while all the others were taking turns pecking at its foot. I rescued the poor chickie who had a bloody foot. I had seen pecking before but nothing like this. It was brutal. So the answer is yes. If chicks see blood they turn into cannibals.

5. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    You stop it by removing the hurt chick. Just a random fact related to this: Do you know why most chick feeders are red? Because chicks are naturally drawn to peck at the color red.

6. Angel16

i didn't know that! so if my pullets start to peck at another pullet i would have to separate the one that's being pecked or could i hang food in the coop to stop them? would that work do you think?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You need to remove the one being pecked on.

8. Angel16

okay and how long would i have to wait after the wound has heeled to put her back in with the others?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could put it back in after the scabs are gone and keep an eye on it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. Angel16

okay and what should i do if that attack her again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by