Pecking wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChristieB, Dec 17, 2014.

1. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    I'm new here and to chicken owning so Not sure if this is relevant to this forum so please redirect me if there's somewhere better to ask.
    When I let the chickies out this morning I noticed one of the RIR crosses had a wound on it's comb (please excuse the "it" they are only 12 weeks old so jury is still out on this ones gender)
    I know how they love to peck at red wounds but unsure what to do here, it's not particularly bad or bleeding so should I leave them or seperate? Is there something I should do to help it heal?
    Any advice appreciated
    Thanks[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    But some blukote on it. happens to my chickens sometimes when one on the lower end of the pecking order gets pecked too hard by another.

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    It sounds as if it isnt serious.
    She is fine.They will peck at large sores.It isnt a big deal umless its on the nek,breast/chest,back,under,and bum.
    Legs fine.

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Also,mines have blood sores all over combing and nobody pecks at it.
    Be safe when using blukote.
    Put a towel over her eyes/face,if any of this is drunken or gets in the eyes,they may blind her or make her sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by